breather hose routing, something new... check it out.

14 replies to this topic
  • wes782

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:43 PM

Posted Image

i havent seen this yet...
interesting, think it helps?

• spc mike

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:21 PM

well.. its only about 2 inches higher that the stock location and now you will be risking sucking up the crap the fly off and through your chain....:cool:

• KJ790

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:26 PM

This would most likely work pretty well since it can only suck up if the end is buried in sand and the engine stalls with the final stroke being an intake stroke. With this configuration the end is less likely to be buried in sand. It will not suck up anything from your chain.

• wes782

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:28 PM

This would most likely work pretty well since it can only suck up if the end is buried in sand and the engine stalls with the final stroke being an intake stroke. With this configuration the end is less likely to be buried in sand. It will not suck up anything from your chain.

thats what i was thinking

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Looks like a good idea. I'm still going to run mine into the airbox, though. Reason being is that I want a filter on the end of the vent hose, and where the end is in this photo is NOT a good place for a filter due to a)boots, b)chain debris, and c)roost.

A new approach and good out of the box thinking, though!:cool:

• stroker101

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:38 AM

may get in the way of your boot(?) i'm thinking yamaha r&d located it in the stk position for a reason. maybe to prevent any blown out oil residue from possibly finding it's way onto the foot peg(?) i would have to agree that if this hose were to be re-routed, terminating into the air box would be one of the better locations.

just curious, how many engine failures or premature engine wear has been cuased from this breather hose being located in the stk position?

creative thinking is good

• Dveitch8

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:39 PM

anyone have pictures of the airbox setup

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:52 PM

may get in the way of your boot(?) i'm thinking yamaha r&d located it in the stk position for a reason. maybe to prevent any blown out oil residue from possibly finding it's way onto the foot peg(?) i would have to agree that if this hose were to be re-routed, terminating into the air box would be one of the better locations.

just curious, how many engine failures or premature engine wear has been cuased from this breather hose being located in the stk position?

creative thinking is good

If it was a big problem Yamaha wouldn't still have it there. I have yet to see any problems with it. Yamaha would have done an FDM on it if it was a problem.

• todds924

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:54 PM

well.. its only about 2 inches higher that the stock location and now you will be risking sucking up the crap the fly off and through your chain....:cool:

That picture looks like someone forgot where the hose clamps mount on that cover!!!!:applause:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 19, 2008 - 10:59 PM

I will try to snap some pics tomorrow for you. I have had mine in the airbox for 2 years now and love it. I put mine in there because I ride mostly offroad and see ALOT of water crossings and I have seen the tube pinched by the stock tube "holder/clamp" from contact with a rock. The only downside I have seen is sometimes it leaves a bit of a mess in my airbox, not too big of a deal to me.

• stroker101

Posted January 20, 2008 - 05:29 AM

my 03' had full metal hose retainers covered with rubber and they would at times become pinched off due to roost from another bike. and at times would cuase the decompression plug to blow out on earlier models, like the 03' 450.
the newer models don't have a full metal wrap. this was a good addition from yamaha.

i read on the "DIRT RIDER" forum, that there is a possible concern with the breather hose being located in the stock position. it seem's that yamaha has a "tech exchange #M-2007-009" (?)

i hoping that greyracer has some info pertaining to this matter. he is very knowledgable and helpful. thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:40 AM

if you are riding on tracks and not in water this is ok....I like the fact that you could even modify this a little to keep your chain lubed.....:cool:
Especially when you overfill your oil....

• jonova

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:25 AM

Yamaha does not have this M2007-009 Tech Exchange posted on their website. I called the 1800 # to find out more and they needed my VIN before they would elaborate more on the subject. Looks like a know issue that is disclosed to dealers..... But we will see as my new 2008 has some motor issues due to sucking dirt up this vent. I have had many older WRs and YZs and never had this issue. I'm not holding my breath for a warranty miracle but ya never know. :lol:

• motox88

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:08 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=706602

• WGP

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:26 PM

There's no need for the fancy set-ups....just route it how the WR's have always been routed....into the lower airbox.
Why Yamaha doesn't do this on YZ's is beyond me.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.