Advantages of Zipty fuel screw

14 replies to this topic
  • MaddogYZ

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:22 PM

What are the advantages of the Zipty fuel screw? I'm going to order the AIS removal kit from here and was considering the fuel screw as well because a lot of people love but I don't understand why. Other than being able to adjust it with your finger rather than a screw driver is it any better than the stock one?

And don't flame me, I searched and read all the tutorials at least 3 times and didn't find an explanation as to why the Zipty is so great. Theres a lot of crap to sift through on searches too, takes a lot of time without a lot of good results.

• Matt James

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I like it because you can adjust it anywhere by hand. Trying to get a screwdriver in to adjust it is no fun. I make adjustments for altitude and temperature changes. Basicly its easy.

• redswr

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:12 PM

+1 on there being alot of useless info on the stickies... there is alot of good stuff to though and would hate ot have to sort it all out... thanks clark4131 for keeping it up :cool:.

you don't really need the fuel screw... i've adjusted it once just to set it and thats it. i ride from 4000ft all the way to 0ft elevation from 100 degrees to 30 degrees. if you want it though your best bet would to buy it along with the AIS remover so you only have to take the carb off once.

• William1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Do not get a ZipTy. Get a Kientech (Stainless) from Jesse at Kientech or a Scotts or Kouba (Brass). The ZipTy tip is not a good match to the oem FCR screw and will cause you to go one or more sizes down in pilots because it is a poor fit.

• William1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Also, no need to pull the carb to swap screws, if you have the right tools.

• Alternative

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:40 PM

It's just useful being able to change it by hand. I just got a big nail and cut the head off and soldered it to the original fuel screw, works like a charm :cool:

• C-P

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Do not get a ZipTy. Get a Kientech (Stainless) from Jesse at Kientech or a Scotts or Kouba (Brass). The ZipTy tip is not a good match to the oem FCR screw and will cause you to go one or more sizes down in pilots because it is a poor fit.

That's the first I've heard of this...just after placing my order with Zip Ty, too! Anyone else?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:36 PM

I have a Zip Ty and haven't had any problems. Mine works great

• KennyMc

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have a Zip Ty and haven't had any problems. Mine works great

Not a problem at all.:cool:

• WR_Dave

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:38 PM

Not "all" internet info is reliable. I have used the Zip-ty fuel screw for 5 years and now have the Sunline fuel screw with no problems with either one. Maybe poor initial installation makes a person hate the product not the improper installer./?! WR Dave

• WheelsUp

Posted January 18, 2008 - 11:19 PM

Only caution on the ZipTy is to make sure that your pilot is correct.
You don't want that screw turned out more than 3 turns... if it is, bump the pilot up one step and get the screw down to 1-2 turns.

The spring does a good job of holding the screw tight, but at 3+ turns, they have been reported to vibrate out. If you're lucky, you'll feel the mixture change at idle, but if not, you're walking back to camp.

Never had a problem with mine, 1.5 turns out.

• William1

Posted January 19, 2008 - 02:49 AM

Only caution on the ZipTy is to make sure that your pilot is correct.
You don't want that screw turned out more than 3 turns... if it is, bump the pilot up one step and get the screw down to 1-2 turns.

The spring does a good job of holding the screw tight, but at 3+ turns, they have been reported to vibrate out. If you're lucky, you'll feel the mixture change at idle, but if not, you're walking back to camp.

Never had a problem with mine, 1.5 turns out.

Pretty much sums up a lot of peoples experience with the ZipTy screw (Sunline is the same exact screw, made by ZipTy and repackaged).

I do not hate it, just do not like it. First, it is aluminum. Too fragile. I'd rather use a brass one (Kouba) or Stainless steel (Kientech). Second, many (including myself) have found when replacing a properly adjusted stocker, because it did not seat properly (due to poorly shaped tip), it never fully seats. To resolve this, you may have to go one or two sizes down on the pilot. Ends up being a little hack. Instead, I get a screw that is identical to the stock Kehien screw.

• WheelsUp

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:51 AM

To resolve this, you may have to go one or two sizes down on the pilot. Ends up being a little hack. Instead, I get a screw that is identical to the stock Kehien screw.

I did what everyone else here seems to have recommended... Went up either one or two steps on the pilot.

• clark4131

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:58 AM

+1 on there being alot of useless info on the stickies...

What info in the stickies is useless? :cool:...SC

• redswr

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:43 PM

What info in the stickies is useless? :cool:...SC

first off your doing a good job trying to get it all setup for us and it has answered most of my questions. its just that there are alot of posts in each stickie asking about where to find certain info and not actually giving any good info. like in the one for the 07 mods there are alot of posts wondering different stuff about the 07 and you have to really look to find how to modify the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.