Anyone tried the Pro Moto billet exhaust insert?

14 replies to this topic
  • steverad1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hi all,

Anyone tried the Pro Moto Billet exhaust insert sold at TT? Says it allows for much better airflow. If so, how does it compare with the regular exhaust with the pea shooter pulled out? Both in performance and noise. I don't have the budget for a new exhaust right now.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

• dazzabb

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:15 AM

Steve,

I ran it for a couple of months on my 05 450 then junked it - I couldn't feel any increase in performance whatsoever.

For my liking it was actually too quiet, it was difficult to to hear my own bike when riding with others - I prefer a bit more exhaust noise than that.

• bparsel1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 05:59 AM

I've got it, by choice I don't use it but I ride in a couple places where you have to enter through a sound check and the insert is the only way my WR makes it. I got tested without it and I was at 106db---LOUD!! :cool: With it in I come in at 99db, over the limit but they let me slide.

Performance is diminished a little, but I think you can still def. hear the bike when you're riding it. It does exactly what I need it to do.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:21 AM

I have one in my 05 muffler on my 03 wr. I never ran the bike with the pea shooter out, just with the PMB insert in. Power wise it helped a bunch. Noise wise it is still legal. I HATE NOISEY BIKES.:cool: Loud doesn't mean fast. It just means obnoxious.:applause:
Jim

• drtbk4ever

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hi all,

Anyone tried the Pro Moto Billet exhaust insert sold at TT? Says it allows for much better airflow. If so, how does it compare with the regular exhaust with the pea shooter pulled out? Both in performance and noise. I don't have the budget for a new exhaust right now.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, what year bike you running?

I have an 04 and use the Pro Moto Billet insert on my stock muffler. The OEM insert is a pea shooter for sure and running the bike with it pulled was downright obnoxious.

The PMB did increase power, but no where near as much as without any insert. For me the slight increase in power was worth the price without scaring the neighbours.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:35 PM

I run it on the '07.

Its a good compromise between noise and performance. There is a noticable difference between the performance of the bike with the stock pea shooter/stock jetting/closed airbox vs. open airbox/correct jetting/PMB insert mostly in the bottom and mid.

• Summit

Posted January 18, 2008 - 05:50 PM

I tried one on my 05 and noticed a definite improvement in power and just a little more noise. But THEN, GYT-R header and pipe.....BIG improvement, nice and noisy too. Actually not that bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:00 PM

I have both the Pro Moto Billet and the Yamaha GYTR Quiet Inserts. My feeling is that the PMB left the bike feeling a little flat on the top end/upper RMP. And that with the GYTR it wasnt as noticeable.
Both will dampen the power compared to an uncorked exhaust - no question about that. But being legal to race and not announce that your coming to everyone for miles around when riding on public land is important.
On the PMB the smaller side holes are not drilled out/all the way thru, and I have considered drilling a few out, and then getting sound tested so I can pass and to see if any change in performance is felt to eliminate that flat spot on top.

• dazzabb

Posted January 18, 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hey Steve I bet these replies have really helped you make your mind up!!!!!!!!!!

Not surprising I suppose when someting so subjective is run on the "seat of the the pants" dyno.

• yz-dwg

Posted January 19, 2008 - 05:21 AM

I like mine, I'd say it depends on how you ride, call me a weanus but between PMB and JD jetting, she makes all the power I can handle.........for now anyways.......

• dl19

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:49 AM

Perfect balance. Gained a little but did all mods including re-jetting. I don't like super loud bikes and they don't gain that much true performance. I would do nothing more then remove insert or PMB. If you want YZF performance then that is the bike to get.

• Justang

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I bought this bike used and was taking apart the exhaust to see if it had been de-baffled and found this tail pipe... is this the stock tail pipe? Or is this the PM pipe? It doesn't look like the typical "pea shooter" that I see posted on this site.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• init ref

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:46 PM

That's the PMB insert, not the stock thing.

• CORider63

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:56 PM

I tried my '07 WR-450 with no insert, just the spark arrestor. It ran well, but it had an annoying exhaust sound. It wasn't really that loud, it just had kind of a hiss/echo (pfffftttt) under acceleration and it was blowing a bit of soot through the gaps onto the back edges of the muffler at high elevations.

I now have the PMB and really haven't noticed any change in performance from having no insert, but it is very slightly quieter and has a much "smoother", less noticeable, exhaust note.

• Justang

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, I debaffled my exhaust and ran no tail pipe. It had a pffft sound to it that I really didn't like. I put the PMB pipe back into it and it sounds nice again... and slightly quieter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.