Installed new stator, now bike wont start

8 replies to this topic
  • bwsully1

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:43 PM

05 WR 450, Installed new Kakar lighting kit high watt Stator (75 watts) No problem with removal or re-installation until I tried to start her up.
Note: added new spark plug at during this time

1, Started bike, bike was missing and popping (sounded like timing)
2, Pulled spark plug out to examine, plug looked fouled (dark)
3, Put plug back in and (hoping that was the problem) no luck same condition as item 1
4, Pulled harness from New stator to mating connections under frame tube and found I acidentally mated/connected the connectors backwards.
Noticed that the new stator harness gray connector hooks to the bikes black connector. Appears Kakar miss assembled the connectors from stock configuration. Stock is black to black and gray to gray, Kekar assembled based on wire colors backwards of stock. Shame on them.............
5, Corrected the electical connections and know no spark, pulled plug all wet. Did a plug check no spark noticed when grounded to exhaust pipe.
6, Pulled ignition coil and checked resistance per manual page 7-5. Found that Primary coil was open, but secoundary coil checked 5.7 ohms. Appears that I my have shorted out the Primary coil. Whats your thoughts ???

Hope I didnt do too much damage............sorry for the long thread

Thanks,

• gregwr450f

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:04 PM

try a new plug.

simple things first.

• tweav

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:22 PM

sounds like your coil is bad. did you check the voltage going to your coil while cranking it? you may have someting wired wrong that burnt to coil . Are the wires going to the coil hot all the time when the bike is on and not cranking? if you switched your trigger wires with your stator power output there is a good chance you burnt up your cdi too.

• William1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:08 AM

I doubt the wires were wrong on your new stator. Color of wire is not a 'law'. Reset the wires they way they were. Use a new plug, make sure it is gapped. Check for spark. It does sound like the coil is bad but a stator will not 'cook' it. Retest the coil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bwsully1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Just a quick note:
After all resistance measurements taking with no smoking gun, called Dekar lighting (manufacture of duel sport lights) and explained my problem, they told me that this new high watt stator was not ready for outside sales, they hadn't made a modified regulator yet for that model. "Sales person made a small mistake" Early today I was able to talk to there tech support and design engineer staff. They (Dekar) currently have my bike and will be adding the nessary parts to make it funuction. Though they might have to replace stock regulator as it proberly burned out as a result of current flow. Dekar has taken full responsibility for this oversight and will be adding a few new things for my headache. They seem to really stand behind there products. I'll keep you posted. Thanks...........

• tweav

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:40 PM

I doubt the wires were wrong on your new stator. Color of wire is not a 'law'. Reset the wires they way they were. Use a new plug, make sure it is gapped. Check for spark. It does sound like the coil is bad but a stator will not 'cook' it. Retest the coil.

and yes a coil will burn right up if you hook it to the lighting output coils of a stator . a ignition coil will not take a constant current. the power has to pulse or it over heats then fails. What do you think the cdi would do if you just turn on the signal to fire and leave it on at a higher voltage ? for say 20 minutes while you can't start your bike . Heck I'm thinking if you'd swap the right two wires . you would have wired both coils in series .

• bwsully1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:39 PM

and yes a coil will burn right up if you hook it to the lighting output coils of a stator . a ignition coil will not take a constant current. the power has to pulse or it over heats then fails. What do you think the cdi would do if you just turn on the signal to fire and leave it on at a higher voltage ? for say 20 minutes while you can't start your bike . Heck I'm thinking if you'd swap the right two wires . you would have wired both coils in series .

Just to update the status on the coil, verified that both primary and secondary sides fall within specification requirements. Appears that coil did not burn out as thought.

• William1

Posted January 19, 2008 - 02:56 AM

Not to be argumentative but... Back in olden times (early 80's and previously), coils were energized on the primary side 100% of the time, the secondary side were connected to points, at the time of a break to the ground provided by points, this cause's a drop in potential and a pulse to be created. A CDI pretty much works the opposite.
I aggree, if it were connected to a over voltage source, that could cause a arc in the coil buit, a modern bike does not have the primary side powered by the stator. The power goes to the CDI, which stores the power in a capacitor, which in turn releases it to the coil. A overvoltage situation would instead, cook the CDI.

• gimple393

Posted January 19, 2008 - 05:54 PM

I changed a stator last year. bike did the same thing. checked everything with no luck. put new cdi in and she has run fine ever since. just my experience

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.