'08 WR450F Leaking coolant ANYBODY ELSE?

14 replies to this topic
  • code3dude77

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I've had my 08 WR450F since October. I had it for about 2 weeks and it started leaking coolant from the weep hole under the water pump. It only leaked when I started the bike and would stop when the bike warmed up. It started out with a couple of drops and just got worse. I replaced all the components of the water pump, impeller shaft, bearings and seals. After only about 4 hours of riding it started leaking again.

At first I didn't know if this was normal so I check the forums here and found out it wasn't. I've read numberous threads on this issue of coolant leak and it really helped my with the problem. Today I was talking with another Yamaha rider and he said a guy with a 07 YZ450F does the same thing and he thought it was normal because he is a MX rider and saw Grant Langstons '08 YZ450F doing the same thing.

I was wondering if anybody else with a 2008 WR450F is having the same problem and if Yamaha is making leaky bikes now right from the factory? I'm not really happy about it at all.

• jdg211707

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:17 PM

my 07 wr450 does it also i feel i need 2 find out if and how it can b fixed

• tweav

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:16 PM

My 07 wr450 leaked too .I got a new pump shaft and two new seals and slapped them in .It does not leak now. But I'm not really al that happy that a bike the only had 200 miles on it ,and none in the dirt started leaking water . it is a very poor water pump sealing setup . it's just two cheap rubber seals in there holding back water from the weep hole , the other one stops the oil in the crank case from coming out the hole . most water pumps have a teflon/ceramic seal to hold the water in. Bad bad bad yamaha you should be ashamed of yourselves..:cool: :applause: :busted:

• warlock50

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:23 AM

I have an 07 450 aswell and had in in the bike shop twice and is still leaking so got me stuffed im just gonna ride it.

• Rick1141

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:35 AM

Change the water side seal. It will fix.

• code3dude77

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I already replaced the seal and everything else, and after one ride it started leaking again

• tweav

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:59 PM

If mine starts leaking again. I'll find a better seal or drill a second weep hole then put a greese fitting i the first one then pump the thing full of a very light weight greese until it comes out the new hole.this should keep the rubber seal lubed up for a while. or maybe I can look thru some seal books and see if I can find a teflon one that will fit.

Did you greese up your pump shaft before you reinstalled it ? Dry seals don't seat right

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MojaveThumper

Posted January 19, 2008 - 05:09 AM

Just fixed this on my 06. Hoping it lasts more than a couple of rides though. I found that the original seals were just caked with grease. Who knows if that aided in the problem. Have ridden it once since the repair. Nothing yet. Replaced both seals, same as you, hope this isn't going to become a habit.

Have had the bike almost two yrs with something like 1200 miles on it. Didn't think anything of it condsidering the abuse it takes.

• BigSebago

Posted February 15, 2008 - 04:47 PM

I just bought a used 06 WR450. The bike is really clean and looks almost new. The guy I bought it from did not ride much. When I got it home, I observed the same thing you are discribing. Mine leaks when it first starts and then it stops once warm. I suspect the same seal issue but I have not replaced them yet. Did you try replacing yours and did that work?

• code3dude77

Posted February 15, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, I replaced the impeller shaft, bearings, the oil and coolant seal, and I haven't had a problem with it after I replaced it. The shaft didn't appear damaged or worn. It shouldn't have it was only 2 weeks old. I have also heard that the seals can go bad if the bike sits for a while. Also overheating can cause the problem also. I still am not sure what caused mine.

• simonreeves

Posted February 16, 2008 - 03:28 AM

I've got an '06 450 and it's done the same since new. Yamaha warranty weren't interested so i paid to replace the seals, was okay for a few days now it's started doing it again, think i'll try ignoring it and see how that goes. Doesn't seem to use any noticeable amount of coolant, the downside is that i'm constantly checking the expansion tank, just a bit of a pain but worth it.

• BigSebago

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:03 AM

OK.... Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. how much did you pay for these parts?

• simonreeves

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:19 AM

Probably at least twice what you guys would have to pay 'cos i'm in england! I didn't do the job myself, i got it done when i had the 1st service. I think on average your parts and new bike prices are about half of what we have to pay here, so look on the bright side, whatever you end up paying it could be a lot worse!:applause:

• TheBlackSheep

Posted February 18, 2008 - 10:03 AM

I have an 07 450 aswell and had in in the bike shop twice and is still leaking so got me stuffed im just gonna ride it.

I already replaced the seal and everything else, and after one ride it started leaking again

+1. At 65 hrs my 07' WR450 started leaking thru the weep hole too. Got the seal replaced and it started doing it again. Stops when warm, but after shut down, coolant will leak from the hose, not the weep hole. I am confused and figure I will just keep an eye on my fluids. But I am hearing the fluid leaking from the weep hole can get into the oil? That's bad and has me worried. What do you guys think?

........ bahhh :applause:

• dirtysouth

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:29 PM

If mine starts leaking again. I'll find a better seal or drill a second weep hole then put a greese fitting i the first one then pump the thing full of a very light weight greese until it comes out the new hole.this should keep the rubber seal lubed up for a while. or maybe I can look thru some seal books and see if I can find a teflon one that will fit.

Did you greese up your pump shaft before you reinstalled it ? Dry seals don't seat right

Hey man, if you find a Teflon seal that fits start a new thread and include the sizes. That would be a great find. I sure don't have any seal books to look through.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.