Stupid question

5 replies to this topic
  • CheYuen

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:59 PM

I am in the process of replacing my shock spring. I have the shock off of the bike but can't figure out how to get the spring off! I know this is an easy job - what am I doing wrong?!?

• Haro

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Do you have a manual? I can not explain things better then yama does in their manuals. If you don't let me know and I can post one on here.

• CheYuen

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:47 PM

I do have a manual. The locking rings are loosened all the way to the top of the shock, but the spring is still too long to get the "C" clip off. It is still being pushed down towards the rubber bumper.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:56 AM

Use a vise grip type of plier with a thin piece of rubber under the jaws to pull 2 coils a bit closer together and it may help to loosen the clip. WR Dave.

• matt4x4

Posted January 18, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Do you own a spring compressor - I think you can get them for about 30 bucks - really helpful tool.

• CheYuen

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Wow! Thank you for TT and all of the helpful people here to help morons like me :applause: I spent over an hour trying to get spring compressors to work last night when it was a 1 minute fix :cool: I hadn't separated the bump stop from the collar to slide it up the shock shaft.

Anyway, spring is replaced - piece of cake. Thanks again everyone!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.