What do I do for a more dirtable dual sport?

7 replies to this topic
  • RunAnywhere

Posted October 15, 2002 - 04:47 PM

I've done nearly every mod I've heard of-less any serious suspention-and even a few extras. Power issues are non-existant, but I still could use some agility.

Our group rides pretty often. A couple of drz's, an XR400, a CR450F, an atk350 and the occasional oil burner. None of them touch me on the open-no, not even the 450-but I sure work like a madman to smoke 'em in the tight stuff. I tend to lay it over a little more often than I should.

What's the next best dual sport? I'd sooner ride a bicycle than a drz. A 450F? Doesn't seem too streetable with power delivery. The XR400 is too disapointing after the torque I've grown to love.

What mods will make a more nimble, more agile 650L?

• Big_D

Posted October 15, 2002 - 05:22 PM

Looks like you have a nice hardware setup, ever work on the software? :) Seriously though, I would look into a riding class to improve your skills getting the BRP around the corners.

I myself have taken the Danny Walker's American Supercamp class several times and it is a BLAST!!! Where else can you spend $500 to crash someone else's XR100s for two days, with instruction from pro-racers like: Chris Carr (Grand National Flat-Track Champ), Nickey and Tommy Hayden, Aaron Yates, Colin Edwards, Ben & Eric Bostrom, and many other racers that show up to "guest instruct".

Yes the class teaches flat tracking not MXing, but the lessons boil down RIDING better.

Just my 2 cents, and a shameless plug for the school that lets you crash their XR100s as much as you want. Another note HRCA members get 10% off the class price!

Check out http://www.americansupercamp.com

• Dutch

Posted October 16, 2002 - 03:55 AM

You answer the question in the first sentence - suspension, and even though you love the 606's I would look at a more agressive tire,(imho).

• RunAnywhere

Posted October 16, 2002 - 12:33 PM

I think you're right. Seems like suspension is all that's left. Start with a revalve? Also, who makes a more agressive dot tire? The d606 wears great, but I still eat at least three a season. One every 600-800 miles depending on terrain. About 1000-1200 on the front. I'd hate to replace them any quicker than that.

Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpdup

Posted October 16, 2002 - 12:36 PM

I have a 650L, and I have removed all of the dashboard and the front headlight has been replaced with a lighter Acerbis unit. I fabbed aluminum switch mounts for hi/lo, KX 2 wire killswitch for horn, and Touratech GPS mount. I also had Scott's re-valve the forks and installed an SRC brace. These mods lightened the front end noticeably as well as helped flex. Also try an aggressive front tire, like the Pirelli mt-44. The bike will never be a lightweight, but will always be more fun than stock.

• Alabama_Rider

Posted October 16, 2002 - 12:52 PM

This is the most common question XR650L riders ask. Unfortunately Honda doesn't listen... Yamaha has come out with the WR450 for trail this December. I plan to take a close look, and if i can get a Tag for it, I will sell my XR650L and buy my first Yamaha. If Honda wanted our business they would do the same with the CRF450... lower compression, trail gearing, larger seat and tank, and make it street legal.. They could have all the dual sport business they want... Write your letter to Honda...

• qadsan

Posted October 16, 2002 - 01:36 PM

Unfortunately Honda doesn't listen... Yamaha has come out with the WR450 for trail this December

Have you seen the CRF250X due out this December? Perhaps a CRF450X won't too far behind?

http://www.hondamoto...delId=MCPREVKSC

• Dutch

Posted October 16, 2002 - 02:27 PM

Correct springs and the Summers brace made a world of difference with my BRP. As far as front tires go - that is such a local answer, S12's are the hot set up here in the northern woods,(not DOT but the cops don't check), and I get 1500 miles on the front, 1000 on the rear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.