WR450 Beginner Bike

15 replies to this topic
  • xBRIANx

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:39 PM

First off, sup boy/girls I'm new here, thought Id say hi.

Secondly, Im not a beginner rider, however I am new to trying to fix up my bike. I dont really know any mechanics of a bike, other than putting gas in (lol) checking/chaning oil, air filter basic shit like that honestly. I see alot of people here saying what theyve done to their bike and stuff like that, and Im just curious what are some basic things to do to a bike to make it last, and run better. Note- Ive already cut the grey wire, removed the baffle, and took out the throttle screw thing... Any suggestions or how-tos would be much appriciated!! again, whats up everyone! and Thanks for any help!!

• graazzy

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:34 AM

if you havn't got an workshop manual get one and start reading ,don't worry bout power mods,if you have a 450 there is plenty power in their already.

• SurvivorMan

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hello, WR's are built too last, so i guess you bought the right bike. lots of oil changes and fresh filters is the key. oh yeah, make sure the jetting is on, i recommend buying the jd kit.

• xBRIANx

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:58 PM

Thank you guys. Few more questions I have is: Tires? - My riding consists of trails, and a little pavement. Mainly Dirt/Mud 5% pavement.. if that. So type of tire? Also, Oil? Does it matter? (Assuming it does..) what kind? Spark Plug Again, does itmatter? (if it does) what kind would you recommend.

Also, as I was riding this weekend my dirtbike seemed to be kinda running shitty, bogging down when i would slingshot the throttle (flooring it fast) idle was kinda rough, kept wanting to die, but when the choke is on, it idles so high that its like you dont even need to use throttle to hit second gear. also the battery doesnt seem to let the electric start work for very long until its drained. anyways thats it for now, thanks for any help!!

• matt4x4

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:27 AM

Have you cleaned up your carb yet? put in a new plug? All your idling/bogging issues could well be related to a dirty carb or a gummed up carb.
in the stickies up top you can download the manual for the bike, it'll show you how to tear down and clean the carb, your accel. pump could be filthy and clogged (common) and that will definitely give bog.
rough idle could be a dirty pilot jet.
Best thing to do to a "new to you" bike is to give it a full once over, if you ride all the time, then just do it in pieces during the weeknights so you don't incur downtime.
Carb should take 1-2 hours complete.

• byggd

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:09 AM

First off welcome to TT! The WR can be compared to the XR as far as it dependability. As already mentioned get a manual. You can download it free here. http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0
Probably the most difficult thing to do as far a maintenance is the valve adjustment. Here is a link with some very good pictures and tips.
http://www.thumperfaq.com/valves.htm

• surfer

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:06 PM

When your jetting is right 1 or 2 kicks will start it, after it is warm and you have a decent battery the starter should work great. I can start mine with my hand on the kick starter every time if the electric starter fails. I find if it is cold the battery has a hard time starting it.:cool:

• surfer

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Forgot something-change your oil and filter with the best you can afford.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xBRIANx

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hey, I really appriciate the help guys, Im probably gonna get started on this stuff tomorrow, hopefully I can have it all finished up before my trip to Kentucky this weekend. Again, thanks alot! Seems like I've came to the right place for educated help. Very much appriciated.

• BAHeron

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:57 AM

"and took out the throttle screw thing..." You removed the throttle screw? It could be sucking air from that hole. It should be cut down to 22mils, not removed.

• byggd

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:10 AM

"and took out the throttle screw thing..." You removed the throttle screw? It could be sucking air from that hole. It should be cut down to 22mils, not removed.

The throttle stop screw is external so it cannot cause an air leak if removed however some have reported that the bike can get stuck at WOT if the screw is not left long enough.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 22, 2008 - 09:36 PM

What he said:thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted January 22, 2008 - 09:37 PM

The throttle stop screw is external so it cannot cause an air leak if removed however some have reported that the bike can get stuck at WOT if the screw is not left long enough.

For this reason:thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted January 22, 2008 - 09:38 PM

As far as running bad goes get the JD Jetting kit.:cool:

• WR450RICKO

Posted January 22, 2008 - 09:48 PM

I recommend taking your bike to a shop with a Dyno and have them jet it for your conditions. Best $125 I spent after installing the GYTR AIS Removal Kit and free mods.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 23, 2008 - 12:22 PM

I recommend taking your bike to a shop with a Dyno and have them jet it for your conditions. Best $125 I spent after installing the GYTR AIS Removal Kit and free mods.

I tried that with a local shop and they could not get the sensor probe through the stock canister. Did not charge me for their efforts due to the fact. You can, however, spin it up on the dyno and change jets accordingly per the baselines.:cool:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.