270mm Braking Wave rotor

17 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:49 PM

Just picked it up! Will put it on tomorrow. Used to run a 260mm on my 06 and I feel it was the best break I have ever used. I'll keep you posted on the install and finished pics.

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 18, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Just curious, if the brakes on your 06 were the best you have ever had, why modify?

• matts06yzf

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:13 AM

Just curious, if the brakes on your 06 were the best you have ever had, why modify?

What he is saying is the brakes on 06 where the best he had ever used AFTER he did Modify. So he is going to modify the 08. :cool:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:19 AM

Just picked it up! Will put it on tomorrow. Used to run a 260mm on my 06 and I feel it was the best break I have ever used. I'll keep you posted on the install and finished pics.

Wes I have Brakings 270mm kit - it works awesome:thumbsup:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:00 PM

What he is saying is the brakes on 06 where the best he had ever used AFTER he did Modify. So he is going to modify the 08. :cool:

You are exactly correct!:applause:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Wes I have Brakings 270mm kit - it works awesome:thumbsup:

Hey GA, I got a technical question for you, or any one elsa, Grey? I pulled this 270 mm rotor out of the box, it is a floating rotor, and when I held the center of the rotor, where it bolts up to the hub, and I shook it back and forth. Now I know it is a floating rotor but should you be able to the rivets rattle? There is a little play and I wondering if you are supposed to have the small amount of play in there for expansion. I don't believe my 260mm on my 06 did this and the stock one doesn't do it either. Is this right? Also when you touch the rivets they move. You can actually move the rivets side to side. I'm skeptical! Need some expertise.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:59 PM

It should feel tighter once it's hot, and may even permanently shrink to a tighter fit after it's used a little. Even if it doesn't, it's not really a problem unless it's so loose that it won't stop smoothly because it's rattling around.

If it's something that worries you, you should contact the manufacturer and tell them about it. If nothing else, it alerts them to the condition so that they know it existed prior to your first use of the product. Then they can tell you how the want you to proceed.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:12 PM

It should feel tighter once it's hot, and may even permanently shrink to a tighter fit after it's used a little. Even if it doesn't, it's not really a problem unless it's so loose that it won't stop smoothly because it's rattling around.

If it's something that worries you, you should contact the manufacturer and tell them about it. If nothing else, it alerts them to the condition so that they know it existed prior to your first use of the product. Then they can tell you how the want you to proceed.

Great advice. I did alert the distributer. I felt that due to expansion and contraction that it would need to be a little loose to compensate. I have not had the best luck with any products lately. First Dr.D then Braking. Probably just over reacting. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:33 PM

A question for those that know. What is the difference between a floating rotor and a non-floating rotor?? What difference (if any) does a floating rotor make over a non-floater??

Enquiring minds wanna know (especially this one!!).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:20 PM

A question for those that know. What is the difference between a floating rotor and a non-floating rotor?? What difference (if any) does a floating rotor make over a non-floater??

Enquiring minds wanna know (especially this one!!).

A non floating rotor is a rotor that is one piece. It bolts directly to the hub. A floating rotor are one like on a Stock YZ450f. It's two pieces that look like they're connected with round washers. I like the floating because they seem to not warp as easy. A lot of the times the manufacturer will be able t use different materials on the floating rotor, thus keeping the weight down. Now people will argue, but I believe that floating rotors will dissipate heat more rapidly because they are like a separate disc. Some will say that since the rotor is one piece on a non floating, the rotor has more metal, meaning more cooling or dissipation.
I have always used floating.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:08 PM

Solid rotors cool better because most metals cool better by conduction than by radiation, and solid rotors have a better conductive path to a larger mass of metals into which they can sink the heat. Note that the rear disc is solid.

But as the rotor diameter increases, it becomes more and more prone to warping because of the increasing difference in the inside and outside diameters. To prevent this, the rotor is "floated", so that it is not bound to a smaller center, and can expand more freely.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hey GA, I got a technical question for you, or any one elsa, Grey? I pulled this 270 mm rotor out of the box, it is a floating rotor, and when I held the center of the rotor, where it bolts up to the hub, and I shook it back and forth. Now I know it is a floating rotor but should you be able to the rivets rattle? There is a little play and I wondering if you are supposed to have the small amount of play in there for expansion. I don't believe my 260mm on my 06 did this and the stock one doesn't do it either. Is this right? Also when you touch the rivets they move. You can actually move the rivets side to side. I'm skeptical! Need some expertise.

totally normal and my 260mm Braking does the same on my 03

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 19, 2008 - 10:02 AM

Solid rotors cool better because most metals cool better by conduction than by radiation, and solid rotors have a better conductive path to a larger mass of metals into which they can sink the heat. Note that the rear disc is solid.

But as the rotor diameter increases, it becomes more and more prone to warping because of the increasing difference in the inside and outside diameters. To prevent this, the rotor is "floated", so that it is not bound to a smaller center, and can expand more freely.

I'm a full time student. Learn everyday!:cool:

• todds924

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hey gray, i had a 260mm Moto master brake on my 06 and it got waaaay looser with use. All i did was lay it flat on an anvil and used a 12mm deep socket and tapped it with a hammer to tighten up the rivits....Never came loose again.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hey gray, i had a 260mm Moto master brake on my 06 and it got waaaay looser with use. All i did was lay it flat on an anvil and used a 12mm deep socket and tapped it with a hammer to tighten up the rivits....Never came loose again.

I may try that. Did you get that Batfly yet?

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:13 PM

It can go either way. The materials used in some rotors actually permanently shrinks slightly, which can cause it to shrink down on the rivets. Other materials either won't, or may have been pre-heated/shrunk before assembly. Yours loosened because the rivets wore slightly, and your solution was the perfect fix for it.

For those with "loose" rotors, try to wiggle them when they're hot (wear gloves). If they are tight, they're good. If they are still loose, they may need a little snugging up.

• todds924

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I may try that. Did you get that Batfly yet?

Sorry i havent got back to you Wes......I did get the batfly. I was lucky to get the deal i got....I tried getting another for the same price and my guy said NO! one time only deal.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:03 PM

Sorry i havent got back to you Wes......I did get the batfly. I was lucky to get the deal i got....I tried getting another for the same price and my guy said NO! one time only deal.

Congrats! I appreciate you checking. Thanks again:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.