Can the stock exhaust be modified???

3 replies to this topic
  • rontheman13

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:32 PM

I just bought a new 07 XR650L and I am going to remove the smog this weekend and do Dave’s mod. I was just wondering is there anything you can do to the stock exhaust to improve performance.
Thanks Ron

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:54 PM

First you can take the baffle out of the muffler, but that makes it sound kind of weird. Will run alittle better.

You can also take off the head pipe and grind down the welds on the inside of the pipes. You will see the restriction when you first pull it off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rontheman13

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Are there any other modifications that are worth trying? If not what would be a resonable after market pipe?

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:49 PM

Thats about it for stock exhaust mods. Just do the jetting, a foam UNI filter, remove the airbox snorkel and remove smog.

An XR400 front fender greatly improves the looks. 25 bucks.

Try a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket or a 48 rear. I like 15/48. I do 75/25 street/dirt and it works well.

A battery relocation gets rid of some weight.

Find a nice cargo rack also.

If you want to buy an exhaust, look at White BROS. I use the E2 series muffler. Has an open tip and a sparky tip. Has a nice deep thump.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.