Swingarm grease nipples

6 replies to this topic
  • TommyBoyee

Posted January 17, 2008 - 02:49 PM

I just finished replacing all the swingarm and link bearings(00 426)over the last few days and aside from water contamination the bearings could have lasted alot more than seven years. Without to much trouble I managed to install grease nipples to get grease to every bearing in the assembly. The hardest part was drillling the hardened races in the swingarm. One carbide drill later and it was done. Then I figured the grease would push the seals out so I installed O-rings between every seal and whatever housing the item was assembled in. Just thought I'd post this up because it can be done with little effort. Just a few taps and drills really. The carbide bit can be bought in any industrial supply store and you only need to drill two holes. I even threw a grease nipple on the rear brake pivot.

Some pics below

http://s156.photobuc...t21/TommyBoyee/

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I dont think I, personally would do the swingarm mod, but I love the rear brake nipple. One of the most neglected parts on a bike. PS. very clean 426

• SBRacing

Posted January 17, 2008 - 04:12 PM

I just finished replacing all the swingarm and link bearings(00 426)over the last few days and aside from water contamination the bearings could have lasted alot more than seven years. Without to much trouble I managed to install grease nipples to get grease to every bearing in the assembly. The hardest part was drillling the hardened races in the swingarm. One carbide drill later and it was done. Then I figured the grease would push the seals out so I installed O-rings between every seal and whatever housing the item was assembled in. Just thought I'd post this up because it can be done with little effort. Just a few taps and drills really. The carbide bit can be bought in any industrial supply store and you only need to drill two holes. I even threw a grease nipple on the rear brake pivot.

Some pics below

http://s156.photobuc...t21/TommyBoyee/

Nice turbo Corrado... 1.8T ? I had a G60 when the came out..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mark96yz250

Posted January 17, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Man, I was thinking about doing exactly that on my YZ last summer! Nice post , I'll be doing it next service.

• TommyBoyee

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:42 AM

My last bike was an 96 KX500. As such I've been really into it and have gone over just about every nut and bolt on it.

The Corrado was last winters project. I bought the car with a 1.8T in it and it blew up on my first day out. #3 rod and various parts were spat all over the BMW behind me. Aparently VW's don't like BMW's. Bad engine management setup and really shoddy engine swap will do that. Now it has all the goodies and about 350hp. Unfortunately she's been put away for the winter.

Hehe I did the rear brake as an afterthought. Figured what the hell why not.

IMHO the linkage is the most important because it is subject to so much dirt and crud. When I pulled them apart they were rusted right through and the needles fell out with the races.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:18 PM

Next time you have to drill through something tough, try cobalt bits. Best thing I've used yet for drilling hard metals.

• TommyBoyee

Posted January 19, 2008 - 06:41 AM

nowhere neaw as good as a solid carbide drill though a bit more expensive. When I was a toolmaker we used masonary drills that we sharpened to drill through hardened D2. We'd put the machine in low speed with no coolant and drill through quite easily. However these were just holes for putting the wire edm through and they didn't have to be accurate

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.