What are some good tire options? maybe something bigger on the back?

13 replies to this topic
  • eyeofth3b3hold3r

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hey everyone, I've been doing a lot of winter riding down here in GA and its really muddy and really slick and really scary on the huge heavy bike, this kinda makes me miss my XR400 until I leave the trail and ride legally on the road home! A friend of mine also rides a xr650l but he put this massive tire on the bike, its much wider and more of a traditional dirt bike tread. Using my brain on this I would think it'd be a lot better in the dirt. I also read some ppl just run non DOT legal tires on their bikes and are fine, I was debating on that, also I'd like this tire to hold up, nothing really soft, anyone have any tips for what I need to be looking into? thanks!

• Alex 400

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:21 AM

how about the Interco tera-flex? dot approved and 150/90 size. search the tire I think you might find some more experienced reviews of it.

http://intercotire.c...ages/TERA 2.jpg

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:24 PM

I like pirelli's MT-21's. DOT approved. Get the rear in either a 130 or 140. Killer offroad and good onroad.

• cleonard

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:55 PM

MT21's are a fine long lasting tire, but they do slip around in the slimy mud. They work great out there in the desert southwest.

The DOT/non-DOT choice really depends on how much you run on the pavement and what your local law enforcement is like. I don't do on the pavement very much so I run a non-DOT tire. I like the Maxxis Desert IT. For the mud you might want to go with a soft terrain tire as they generally work the best in the mud.

• Smoke Eater

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Winter riding is Georgia? Come on. That's not winter.

• eyeofth3b3hold3r

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:57 AM

well its colder and slicker than you think, i'm in the north ga mountains near beasley knob OHV park and it gets pretty cold and muddy. will a wider tire be a pain on the road for some reason? just wondering thanks for the replies guys.

• martinfan30

Posted January 18, 2008 - 11:26 AM

well its colder and slicker than you think, i'm in the north ga mountains near beasley knob OHV park and it gets pretty cold and muddy. will a wider tire be a pain on the road for some reason? just wondering thanks for the replies guys.

The wider ones seem to wear the middle of the tread quicker. Although they are better offroad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spotsboss

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:37 PM

Measure how much room you have down there in the swingarm yoke before you buy.
:cool:

• hill5150

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:58 PM

A big NO on the Terracrap tire, destroyed mine in 20 minutes,,,I use the Maxxis HT, good results.......They are using a new compound apparently...

• cleonard

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:16 AM

how about the Interco tera-flex? dot approved and 150/90 size. search the tire I think you might find some more experienced reviews of it.

http://intercotire.c...ages/TERA 2.jpg

A big NO on the Terracrap tire, destroyed mine in 20 minutes,,,I use the Maxxis HT, good results.......They are using a new compound apparently...

I heard stories about the TerraFlex tire. I never have purchased one, but here is what I have found. The original tire was a huge heavy super wide thing that was so stiff that it was advertised as almost a run flat tire and the tire was DOT certified. Seems that most either loved it or hated it.

Then some tire production moved to Asia. Many claimed that the tire was not as good as the old one. Fast forward a couple of years and now all of them are made in Asia. There is also a new tire in the normal 110 widths. I have never seen a good review on the 110 width tire. There are a few who like the current wide tire, but most don't like it.

I decided to pass on the TerraFlex.

Hill5150 which version of the Terraflex did you have a bad experience with?

• percyco

Posted January 19, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Dunlop D606 with a 130 on the rear, you cant go wrong.......trust me :cool: Posted Image

• Billahjack

Posted January 19, 2008 - 12:35 PM

If you are in alot of sticky mud, you want something that self cleans with wider spacing between the treads. Unfortunately, that makes for a bad street tire. I have been runing the Maxxis IT for a while and like it alot. We don't get too much mud here in the desert, but I have managed to find a couple mud holes this past month.

I used to run Dunlop D606 tires. They are fairly similar, but I think I can buy the Maxxis for a little bit cheaper.

Try a Michelin S-12 up front. I can't believe how well these stick in mud, sand, rocks, dirt, and grass. They are OK on the road, but not as good as the dunlop D606. Offroad, I have not found anything better. They only come in 90/90-21 so make sure you have 15 psi in them. They have a short sidewall.

If you are doing 90% mud and 10% street, I would try a Michelin M-12 130/80-18 out back. It looks ok for street....

• hill5150

Posted January 19, 2008 - 03:34 PM

I heard stories about the TerraFlex tire.

Hill5150 which version of the Terraflex did you have a bad experience with?

I used the ASIA version as it was a little over a year ago, it was a lousy tire, it was all over the place although it was a 110, got ripped to hell in 20 minutes, never again.......

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 19, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Good advice...I put on a 130/90 MT21 Pirelli and it fits.... not sure I would go to a 140.

Measure how much room you have down there in the swingarm yoke before you buy.
:cool:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.