Decompression lever stuck?

1 reply to this topic
  • dezurist

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hey guys,

I have a 04 YZ450F and upon my last ride this past fall, I go to start it one last time and I grab the decompression lever and its stuck? We were riding on a fairly muddy trail system all day and I just figured it had some gravel in the lever hinge area. After a thorough pressure wash it appears to be still stuck and I cannot depress the lever at all?

Any ideas?
Been riding for many years, but pretty green to the 4 stroke world.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys,

I have a 04 YZ450F and upon my last ride this past fall, I go to start it one last time and I grab the decompression lever and its stuck? We were riding on a fairly muddy trail system all day and I just figured it had some gravel in the lever hinge area. After a thorough pressure wash it appears to be still stuck and I cannot depress the lever at all?

Any ideas?
Been riding for many years, but pretty green to the 4 stroke world.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

1 of 2 things in my experience -

1. they (the cable) get water in them and on cold days will freeze but this does not sound like your problem.
2. The plunger will get "cocked" in the carb. Remove the cable from the carb.... be careful not to strip or cross thread the plastic nut on the end of the cable. Wiggle it around, remove it and inspect the o-ring. I think they suggest a VERY fine layer of lube on the o-ring when you re-install it.

Good Luck:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.