98 Yz400f - Noise

3 replies to this topic
  • lemmer18

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:17 AM

I have a 98 yz400f- possibly looking to rebuild me top end. Last summer it had a weird knocking noise the sounded like it came from the top end. Almost like the piston was knocking on the cylinder head. When the bike idled it would get loader then decrease in sound. I did go away after the bike is warmed up but not totally. Its something i would like to take care of before it may cost me more money. Any pointers on rebuilding top end would be appreciated. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:51 AM

You could be looking at a piston slap caused by wear, but any 400 with such a noise should be checked for a loose balancer drive gear and key. This is a common problem, but not a very big one. The balancer drive gear sits behind the primary drive gear on the right end of the crank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spc mike

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:26 PM

how does piston slap exactly happen and how do you fix it?..just a new piston and rings?

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:21 PM

The cause is usually a loose fitting or incorrectly shaped piston skirt. In the case where it didn't do it originally, but does now, it's usually a wear condition, but it could also be the result of certain kinds of damage, or even a broken ring. The cure is a top end rebuild.

Some forged high compression pistons made from higher expansion alloys than the OEM piston will have a cold slap from the beginning. This is more or less normal for them, and as long as they are quiet while warmed up, there's no problem.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.