opinion on modding exhaust

13 replies to this topic
  • wswain

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:18 AM

was at the local muffler man shop asking about bike exhausts for my yz450f. they said they do not make exhaust but modify the old one. it is the easiest and cheapest way. he said if he made it more straight thru it would "un clog" it and give it some more power and bit more bark. i dont know the exact price but what im asking if do you think it would be worth it. i dont wanna spend alot of money so do you think this would be a cheap but effective way of getting some more power/bark from it. thanks will

• SRT426

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:31 AM

The best thing to do is buy an exhaust made for your bike so it is properly tuned for your bike. Just opening up the exhaust may hurt performance. Which year 450 is this?

• 642MX

Posted January 17, 2008 - 05:03 AM

was at the local muffler man shop asking about bike exhausts for my yz450f. they said they do not make exhaust but modify the old one. it is the easiest and cheapest way. he said if he made it more straight thru it would "un clog" it and give it some more power and bit more bark. i dont know the exact price but what im asking if do you think it would be worth it. i dont wanna spend alot of money so do you think this would be a cheap but effective way of getting some more power/bark from it. thanks will

I wouldn't let a muffler shop touch my bike.

Exhaust companies like FMF & Pro Circuit spend countless hours on the dyno trying different set-ups, pipe lengths, diameters, ect, ect....

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:53 AM

A Muffler shop? :cool:

In the first place, your exhaust is already completely straight through, unless it's one of the new '08's.

There isn't anything that can be done to the stock muffler on an '03-'07 YZ450 that will make any significant change other that increase the noise. No power gain, no more bark, nothing. The only exception to that is switching the end caps on an '07 with an '06.

If it is an '08, there again, the extent of this trick modification Joe Muffler wants to charge you for is likely to be nothing more than pounding a crow bar through your pipe. The only thing you'll get from that is a loud bike that doesn't run any better, and a lighter wallet.

Just don't.

• wswain

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:42 PM

thanks for the replys.. its on an 04 yz450f. i just thought id ask.. im not looking at replacing my exhaust as they cost too much i was just looking for a cheaper version if i could..thanks will

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:48 PM

The '04 stock exhaust is actually a pretty good system the way it is.

• todds924

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:42 PM

A Muffler shop? :cool:

In the first place, your exhaust is already completely straight through, unless it's one of the new '08's.

There isn't anything that can be done to the stock muffler on an '03-'07 YZ450 that will make any significant change other that increase the noise. No power gain, no more bark, nothing. The only exception to that is switching the end caps on an '07 with an '06.

If it is an '08, there again, the extent of this trick modification Joe Muffler wants to charge you for is likely to be nothing more than pounding a crow bar through your pipe. The only thing you'll get from that is a loud bike that doesn't run any better, and a lighter wallet.

Just don't.

Thats funny!!!!! He said a "muffler shop"! Seriously Gray....... For all these people who wan't a "shorter" muffler.....I'm talking stock 08 450 short..... Today i saw a Dr d exhaust on a CRF 150 "F" model...not the "R" model.....and it was the same length as a stock 08 silencer. It was the old "D" shaped Dr D with the old end cap but i swear its the same can i have on my 06 DR D.....only shorter. If one so wanted to for whatever reason they "COULD" probably buy one of those short 150 F cans and mate it up to the pipe. Before you get all crazy with me......I'm just saying........You probably could.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCal

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:53 PM

What's a matter with that? I take my exhaust system to the local muffler man for various modifications. :cool:

• todds924

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:40 PM

What's a matter with that? I take my exhaust system to the local muffler man for various modifications. :cool:

Ahhhhhhh! its all coming together now! Your the guy i saw with the Glasspack hanging off the end of his bike:thumbsup: Hows that working out for you?????:applause:

• NorCal

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:21 PM

Ahhhhhhh! its all coming together now! Your the guy i saw with the Glasspack hanging off the end of his bike:thumbsup: Hows that working out for you?????:busted:

The glasspack works wonders!:applause: The muffler man also doubled the diameter of the
head pipe while adding some straightening. Good power all around and serious
bark. I should be taking home some championships with this set up. :cool:

• todds924

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:05 PM

The glasspack works wonders!:applause: The muffler man also doubled the diameter of the
head pipe while adding some straightening. Good power all around and serious
bark. I should be taking home some championships with this set up. :cool:

Midas or ???????????? Keep that hook up a secret! Thats funny.:busted:

• Yz400Flyer

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Why do you guys even bother with expensive pipes.... I just removed my silencer, bent my header 90 degrees from the cylinder and let it shoot straight to the side. It might a "little" noisy but it added 50hp and the flames are just awesome.

• Stepdaddy

Posted January 21, 2008 - 11:59 AM

All we are missing from this thread is a couple of ebay electronic superchargers...run about 3 in series and BAM, you have yourself a 8 second 1/4 mile machine

• motobark

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:09 PM

This one's for the guys that like to cut down their silencers... now this pipe makes some power!

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.