WOW Got it started After lots of work, now it's dead??? XL600R

17 replies to this topic
  • superior

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:09 PM

I have a 1983 XL600R. I have replaced the cam / rockers / and a new head cover gasket seal, oil pump, oil lines, and completley rebuilt the carb with new seals and float valves.

I assembeled the engine, and finished adjusting the valve clearances. Then I turned on the fuel (kicked it over a couple of times to get fuel in the carb/engine. I turned the ignition on and on the 1st kick and WHAM - It instantly started on the first kick. It was idling perfectly, and I reved the engine vroom, vroom, everything sounded great. Then after about 2 minutes I turned the bike off.

Now I cant get it started again. I have tried everything... Any Ideas? I have check the spark and it's good (new plug too). I have kicked it over about 20 times with the fuel off to insure it's not flooded? tried it with the choke on and off....and it wont fire up?

Any ideas?

Since it started and ran for about 2 minutes (before I turned it of) I assume that the bike has most of the adjustments within the proper specs? I have double checked everything and I'm not sure what to do now?

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 17, 2008 - 02:16 AM

There should be two carbs on this bike...

Make sure your getting fuel (obviously).

Heres what I would do if I were in your situation. Hold the decomp open, turn the choke off, and hold the throttle open, and cycle it through about 10-20 times. After you do that, let off the throttle, turn the choke back on, and try kicking again.

Also, Honda's don't like to start if the battery is dead. Thats just my personal experience.

• crmc33

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:26 AM

Kill switch on 'run' ? Sorry - I had to ask

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:35 AM

You need to check for compression, spark and fuel.

Did you hear any noise?

• superior

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Yes I rebuilt both carbs, and I got the bike running perfectly after my 1st kick (after the rebuild) and it was running great. (I let it run for about 2 mins) then turned it off.

I have spark, Fuel is flowing, Good Compression. I dont think it would have ran good (the 1st time) unless all of these things were in order? Now it wont start.

Any additional ideas?

• superior

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:13 AM

Kill switch on 'run' ? Sorry - I had to ask

Yes! :cool:

• superior

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:15 AM

There should be two carbs on this bike...

Make sure your getting fuel (obviously).

Heres what I would do if I were in your situation. Hold the decomp open, turn the choke off, and hold the throttle open, and cycle it through about 10-20 times. After you do that, let off the throttle, turn the choke back on, and try kicking again.

Also, Honda's don't like to start if the battery is dead. Thats just my personal experience.

Yes I rebuilt both carbs, new battery 100% freshly charged, new spark plugs. I got the bike running perfectly after my 1st kick (after the rebuild) and it was running great. (I let it run for about 2 mins) then turned it off. Can't restart it.

I have spark, Fuel is flowing, Good Compression. I dont think it would have ran good (the 1st time) unless all of these things were in order? Now it wont start.

Any additional ideas?

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Try bump starting it?

• pwrpapa

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Try some starting fluid an see what happens.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pwrpapa

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:30 AM

I hope you didn't forget to tighten your cam bolts.
I did that once when I was a young man. I also one time had my valve timing off an bent a valve an it wouldn't start after I shut it down.
Check for compression too.

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:52 AM

This may sound silly, but just jot down a check list of all the possible things that could contribute to the bike not starting, and after you perform/inspect each item, cross it off the list.

Gas in tank, cap vent not obstructed, petcock flowing properly, filters not clogged, fuel reaches float bowl.

Float height correct, jets clean, carb orifices blown through, fuel screw properly adjusted, choke working, slide operating smoothly, float jet/needle clean and working properly.

Engine run switch/kill switch engaged correctly and working properly, spark present and strong when engine kicked, timing correct per manual, good battery, clean and tight battery connections.

Compression within spec, no obstructions in air box, valves adjusted, decomp adjusted.

You've pretty much covered Fuel/Spark/Compression if all the items are checked and verified.

Even if something is slightly out of adjustment, the bike should start and run well enough to diagnose and fine tune once everything above has been crossed off.

Then of course, it did take me about four or five tries to figure out my jetting once I uncorked my 600R. :applause: :cool:

• zrxer

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:56 PM

Did you put that thing back together with those grossed out cam and rockers? Bruce

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Try waiting a day and try to restart it with NO throttle, then get back to us...

• superior

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:29 AM

I finally got it started, I put the gas on full throttle and kicked it over a couple of times (with the key turned to off) then I turned on the key and opened up the choke, and wham 1st kick. Ran like a champ!

Thanks for the imput

• superior

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:30 AM

Did you put that thing back together with those grossed out cam and rockers? Bruce

Nope, I was able to get replacements really cheap from a salvage yard. the bike runs great now. Thanks for your help

• pwrpapa

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:58 AM

Great job on the rebuild an glad you got it running.

take care,
pop's

• zrxer

Posted January 18, 2008 - 05:55 AM

Nope, I was able to get replacements really cheap from a salvage yard. the bike runs great now. Thanks for your help

Excellent! Enjoy that bad boy.:cool: Bruce

• Motosprtman

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:09 AM

sounds like it twas flooded....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.