Valve Clearance? Help

3 replies to this topic
  • superior

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hello I have a 1983 XL600R and I have the service manual. I have removed teh crankshaft and timing mark hole caps and I have the piston at Top Dead Center. I know that the valves clearances need to be (intake .05mm and .10mm for exhaust.

[COLOR="Red"]When the piston is at Top Dead Center, which valves are the intake valves and which valves are the exhaust valves?[/COLOR]

Thanks

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:13 PM

The intake valves are the the rear set that are closer to the back of the bike. The exhaust ones are the ones on the front of the head; right where the headers come out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Remember there are two TDC's--a compression stroke TDC and an exhaust stroke TDC. To check/adjust the valves all four of them need to be full closed which means you need to be on the compression stroke TDC. Unless the valves are at 0 clearance, you'll know which TDC you're on because each tappet will have a smidgen of play on the compression TDC. Or, you can just watch the valves as you turn it over and notice the valves open/close. Make sure they're all closed as you reach TDC and you'll know that's the compression TDC.

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:24 AM

The cam lobes should all be pointing downwards at a slight angle. This is compression TDC.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.