Cutting the stock silencer down??

5 replies to this topic

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Is there any gains from cutting the stock silencer? I want to cut down the stock pipe about 3" so it does not stick out so far and to maybe gain a little performance if there is any to be gained from the stock pipe.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:20 PM

no gain what so ever except ruining a perfectly good exhaust that can be sold on TT or ebay....n fact it may even give you worse performance
selll it and buy what you want :banghead:

• rmzRacer293

Posted January 16, 2008 - 04:25 PM

exactly what he said... none or loss of performance and it will be a little louder.... not good. :banghead:
if your wantin a little more power with shorter pipe... sell your stock one on ebay and get a fmf 4.1 slip on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rpittman47

Posted January 16, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I dont have a 450 but I have an 04 250F. I was in the same position as you, not liking the length of the pipe. I went ahead and cut it off about 2 1/4 inches. Its hard to say if I gained or lost any performance, if I did, its not enough to notice a difference. Its also not much louder, you wouldnt be able to tell but it does look much nicer! :banghead:

• rmzRacer293

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:15 PM

• ncmountainman

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:20 AM

if you shorten the can and increase the volume of the chamber (remove some packing material) it increases bottom end response without sacrificing too much top end. i did this a couple yrs ago with a powercore 4,shortened it 3" and took out the fluffy packing leaving the 1/2" matt which i siliconed to inside of the can to keep it from rattling around;it worked really well. this was done after discussions with a fmf engineer and the can is still in use on my buddies wr450. kinda funny,fmf shortened the cans the next yr:thumbsup:

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.