2004 WR450 What to Look For

3 replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:16 AM

Another question - I know this vintage is a little bigger and top-heavy compared to later ones but anything to look for when checking over a second-hand model? Any weak points in the engine?

Thanks for any advice

TD

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Well, i own a 2004. When i got it used, it looked like it had 10 hours on it. Carb was gummed up, and paint was still on the frame by the footpegs (these are both good things when buying used IMO, it shows the bike has sat in a garage). Now i have hundreds of hours on it and it shows. The paint and engine covers are scuffed completely from boots. plastics are scratched and tires need replacing (AGAIN). Dirtbikes need maintainance, and i have had to replace steering head bearings. The valves have been checked but haven't moved (no adjustments). So: gas,oil,tires RIDE IT !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thedktor

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:44 AM

OK, thanks for the reply that is reassuring.

They do seem like reliable engines from all accounts, but buying second-hand you never know what the previous owners might have done to it.

as an aside my first Yamaha was a DT175 that was really poorly built, then more recently a brief affair with a TTR-250 which was the complete opposite - a great bike just completely gutless!

Coming from an XR650 and a KTM-525 I like plenty of go but want something a bit more "Japanese" but smaller than the XR.

If I get on well with an older WR450 then later this year I will get a newer one, preferably brand-new!

TD

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Yeah, get brand new if you can afford it! Then if it breaks down you can blame only Yamaha or yourself. Heh.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.