Started my USD conversion. Need some help...

46 replies to this topic
  • kuritaro9

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:03 PM

I am working through this now. The main question is, does a CRF wheel fit your forks? If the answer is yes, then you can get a CRF-X wheel, speedo drive, and cable, and it will hook up to your gauges and work normally.

I am swapping 07 CRF 250 forks onto my L and keeping the stock instruments. I purchased an X wheel and everything bolts up and works well. You need the X wheel because it has slots for the tabs on the speedo drive, and you need the X cable because it is threaded on both ends.

If the axles and spacing are same, it should work.

BP

the wheels from an X and crf will fit, but i already have a few spares from my cr, so to keep the cost down i was wondering if the speedo drive from the X wheels would fit the cr wheel.

• Brtp4

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:15 PM

the wheels from an X and crf will fit, but i already have a few spares from my cr, so to keep the cost down i was wondering if the speedo drive from the X wheels would fit the cr wheel.

I do not think so, because the CR hub does not have slots for the tabs in the speedo drive. If you have a good machinist, they may be able cut them in, but I would have no idea how.

It might be easier to buy a CRF-X wheel and sell yours to offset the cost.

Cool project though.

BP

• fasterfaster

Posted March 04, 2008 - 11:26 PM

Kuritaro9, Brtp4 is right. The CRF-X gear box will not fit the CR wheel because of the lack of tabs cut into the hub. You would have to cut your own with a die grinder or get yourself a CRF-X wheel. I ended up going with the X wheel myself to keep my mechanical speedo on my XR400. I have heard of guys adapting the XR4 wheel and speedo-drive on the newer CR USD units, but I saw a X wheel on Ebay and snagged it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kuritaro9

Posted March 05, 2008 - 01:22 AM

Kuritaro9, Brtp4 is right. The CRF-X gear box will not fit the CR wheel because of the lack of tabs cut into the hub. You would have to cut your own with a die grinder or get yourself a CRF-X wheel. I ended up going with the X wheel myself to keep my mechanical speedo on my XR400. I have heard of guys adapting the XR4 wheel and speedo-drive on the newer CR USD units, but I saw a X wheel on Ebay and snagged it.

cool, thanks for the info. i may look into cutting the tabs myself. it cant be nearly as tough as my last few conversions...01 cr modded to use 02-07 body, then completly swapping frames to an 03, and stuffing the 01 motor in it...:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted March 05, 2008 - 05:08 AM

I wound up using a CR frt wheel and for now, Im using GPS as speedo/odo. Most likely will change to Trailtech Vapor or similar computer. Brtp4 is correct, you will either have to use the CRFX wheel/drive, then figure what axle/spacing. Personally, the GPS is working better than expected...I may just keep using that. BTW, thanks for posting the pics of Japan (Im digging the scenery!). I have always wanted to visit there. We could use some of those mini gas-sipper cars here in USA right now. Good Luck w/your swap
~Guy

• Blownaway

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:52 PM

I really want to relocate my bar mounts forward from the stupid stock XRR upper clamp set up. Do you guys think I should buy an aftermarket upper triple clamp or just do the conversion to the CR/CRF front end??:thumbsup:

• Brtp4

Posted March 05, 2008 - 04:58 PM

I really want to relocate my bar mounts forward from the stupid stock XRR upper clamp set up. Do you guys think I should buy an aftermarket upper triple clamp or just do the conversion to the CR/CRF front end??:thumbsup:

Kinda like an apple and an apple pie. One is a lot more work and cost, but the USDs from teh CRF are some of the best forks ever made. YOu can get the XRR forks to work pretty well though.

I would say your best bet would be these:

http://www.brpmoto.c...products_id=610

They would move the bars forward a small amount, and higher by quite a bit. Changing bend can bring you forward a little more.

My impression is that the XRR has a decent riding position. Not as good as a modern MX bike, because the cylinder is so large that everything sits back. But not nearly as bad as the L. If I am correct, these small changes would almost center you on the bike and place a lot more weight on the front, and probably fix what you are trying to fix quite well. In other words, unless you are unhappy with the forks, I would get the upper clamp.

If I may offer another $.02, I would spend money on a steering damper when you do the clamp, it's a huge help.

BP

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.