Started my USD conversion. Need some help...

46 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:49 AM

What do you estimate total cost start to finish? Looks great BTW...

• Coolidge

Posted January 21, 2008 - 10:04 AM

I paid 300.00 for the fork set-up, which was already fitted to a XR400. I have a 40.00 upper clamp on its way, so I can run my IMS tank. So total was only appx 350.00-ish. (Thanks for the compliment) I have a 200w stator, CR rear fender, and the Excel wheels to do next.

• swechilli

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hello!! You got a really nice bike:) I doing the same swap now and I would like to know how you resolved the speedo problem? And were do I buy the stickers "showa".. sweet

• Coolidge

Posted January 23, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hello!! You got a really nice bike:) I doing the same swap now and I would like to know how you resolved the speedo problem? And were do I buy the stickers "showa".. sweet

Well, I just ordered a ODO eliminator from Enduro Eng. I will either use my Garmin GPS (for awhile) or get a Trailtech vapor digital. I was checking out a CRF250X and the speedo gear drive 'looks' like it may work? Not sure, Im thinking the Vapor will work fine. You can probably get the SHOWA skins/stickers @ TT store, or I know Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has them. Hope to see some pics of your bike!

• Rockjockey

Posted January 23, 2008 - 05:47 PM

ICO makes a nice speedo/odometer for the dual sport machine as well. It is the ICO VRL. Keeps time, total mileage,resettable trip meter, and is a speedometer just switch back and forth between options with the thumb switch. It is backlit and hooks to your existing battery as well as having an internal battery backup. I put one on my 650L. They make one that does not require an onboard battery too.

• b2dude

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:08 AM

I did this swap on an XR400, which should be nearly the same as the 600. I used 1991 CR250 forks. I used the XR wheel and the CR caliper clamp. I kept the XR caliper and it bolted right up. However, I did place a washer between the caliper mount and where it bolts to the fork, just to center the caliper with the rotor better.I had no rotor bolt interference. [COLOR="Red"]I used the XR axle and spacers except for the one that threads onto the end. I used the CR spacer there, because the lip on the XR kept it from resting in the axle clamps.[/COLOR]

FYI, different years have different tube diameters, so not all are interchangeable.

i don't know what the 400 front looks like, but for my 650l this makes no sense. since the cr front clamps the axle on both sides, and the xr clamps on one side and threads into the other, how could the xr axle work?

• Coolidge

Posted January 24, 2008 - 11:27 AM

i don't know what the 400 front looks like, but for my 650l this makes no sense. since the cr front clamps the axle on both sides, and the xr clamps on one side and threads into the other, how could the xr axle work?

Not on the CR frt end I used..... Mine has clamp 1 side, other side is threaded, just like XR axle, except spacing & thread diameter are different CR/XR

• b2dude

Posted January 24, 2008 - 07:38 PM

Not on the CR frt end I used..... Mine has clamp 1 side, other side is threaded, just like XR axle, except spacing & thread diameter are different CR/XR

ahh yeah i have kyb forks from an 01 cr500 you've got showa. makes sense

• Coolidge

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:09 AM

Update, I now have my 4.7gal tank back on :cool: , I fabbed up a couple of brackets (after wasting more $ on another set of clamps :applause: ) that sets tank back just enough to completely clear my 4.7gal tank (appx .5" back) I had to move seat back too, and those large gaps between side panels/tank are tight, and look better. I'd add a couple of update pics but my camera quit after last ride.

• tp3dxf

Posted January 27, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Cool post bring on the pics. I just picked up a 04 XR600 with a plate to add to the stable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted January 27, 2008 - 06:48 PM

...will do. I gotta get a camera together 1st. Mine is done! I am STOKED to get my big tank back on.

• Coolidge

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:17 AM

Cool post bring on the pics. I just picked up a 04 XR600 with a plate to add to the stable.

Here you go, pretty much done (for now):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• fasterfaster

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hey Coolidge, nice pictures... your bike looks great! I am going to start a USD swap on one of my XR400'S in a few days. I'm hoping to get the same great handling improvements out of it as you did. I don't expect any problems, I hope. I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done and as soon as I get my engine done and back in. Also see that you have a 1969 GTO in the garage. Very nice. I had a 1968 years ago.

• Coolidge

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Thanks. The fork swap was a good swap, very happy with it. Good eye on the GTO, that one is all steel and runs 10.90's.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I also ave a 69 GTO Convertible and a 64 GTO Tri-power :thumbsup:
Good luck w/your swap and be sure to post some pics
~Guy

• martinfan30

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:29 AM

:thumbsup:

Here you go, pretty much done (for now):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks like she's ready for April!:eek:

• Coolidge

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:47 AM

:thumbsup:

Looks like she's ready for April!:eek:

Ohhhhhhhhhyeah! I have/had some trouble w/the 200w stator (for my big-azz lights) But have since added gold Excel wheels, w/gold Talon hubs, Talon sprocket, new DID chain. Even got the GPS hardwired, and working. Cant wait for April!! :D

• kuritaro9

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:06 PM

nice fork swaps...:thumbsup:

im in the process of doing my XR600 with some modded 2001 cr250 forks and clamps. the forks and wheel are on, and everything is pretty much done except for the speedo set up.
does anyone happen to know if a speedo box drive "at the wheel" from maybe a crf X would work on the cr wheel?
the reason i would like to keep using the stock speedo is, that over here in japan, they record the mileage every 2 years during the inspection process, and i havent found a good way to program my trail tech to match the current mileage 11000km...
thanks in advance for any help...

• fasterfaster

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:15 PM

kuritaro9, I just ordered a CRF450X speedo gearbox to go with my CRF450X USD conversion. When it comes in, I will let you know.

• kuritaro9

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:18 PM

kuritaro9, I just ordered a CRF450X speedo gearbox to go with my CRF450X USD conversion. When it comes in, I will let you know.

sweet, thanks man.:thumbsup:
i was planning on just ordering one to see if it would fit, but the current yen/dollar rate is in the toilet, and didnt want to potentially waste the money...

• Brtp4

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:57 PM

sweet, thanks man.:thumbsup:
i was planning on just ordering one to see if it would fit, but the current yen/dollar rate is in the toilet, and didnt want to potentially waste the money...

I am working through this now. The main question is, does a CRF wheel fit your forks? If the answer is yes, then you can get a CRF-X wheel, speedo drive, and cable, and it will hook up to your gauges and work normally.

I am swapping 07 CRF 250 forks onto my L and keeping the stock instruments. I purchased an X wheel and everything bolts up and works well. You need the X wheel because it has slots for the tabs on the speedo drive, and you need the X cable because it is threaded on both ends.

If the axles and spacing are same, it should work.

BP

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.