Started my USD conversion. Need some help...

46 replies to this topic
  • Coolidge

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:36 PM

OK, I started my conversion last night, 90-91(?)CR500 USD forks. Almost done. Here are a few shots:
Posted Image
W/PIAA lights:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I have a turning radius problem due to oversize tank, and upper clamp that has bolts toward rear (need bolts in frt) and brake rotor bolts interfere slightly, although looks like wheel is where it should be. I am using XR wheel, CR axle/spacer, w/no odo. Do need to switch to CR wheel? Has anyone done this conversion using a desert tank? So besides the turning radius issue, and wheel rotor bolts hitting....it went pretty smooth. I Will have more up later. Any ideas/input/help on my issues? Thx in advance

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 02:09 PM

How far are the stops from touching when going to either side? Could you fab. extended steering stops? I wonder if the tank could be moved back just enough to clear? Looks pretty sweet i have to say!!

• Coolidge

Posted January 16, 2008 - 03:58 PM

Well, I just bought another upper clamp, that has the bolt heads toward front. That should help a lot. The lower clamp is already drilled/tapped for stops that should work fine. I have to figure frt wheel spacing now. :banghead:

• rmhrc630

Posted January 16, 2008 - 06:22 PM

This is what I did on mine to fit the CRF triplesPosted Image

finished result

Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted January 17, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Nice bike! Thanks for posting those pics. The stops on the CR to XR are surprisingly close, so what you did looks great. Looks factory

• Owyhee

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:13 AM

I did the same swap with my 600 (1999 XR600/1995 CR500) and it looks like you have the same tank as I do (4.? IMS). I don't have a steering stop issue nor does my tank interfere with the forks.

I have a feeling that I have different tank mounts and my tank sits 1/4" farther rear than the regular tank mounts (the tank sits too far back into the side panels). I also used the CR front wheel so I didn't have the brake issue.

Anyway, nice swap! Love the giant lights. Do you think you're going to have to re-spring/re-valve?

"O"

• Coolidge

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the compliments. Those PIAA light kick butt. If you look at the upper clamp/pinch bolts, you can see how they interfere w/tank. Im pretty sure the new (different) upper clamps will make a huge diff. Cant wait to take it for a spin :cool:

• Coolidge

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:12 AM

BTW, I have a Pro Taper billet upper clamp for 95 CR, that I bought on ebay and cant use. If any interest in it, lemme know? Thx

• Cocky Rooster

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Cool project! The upside down forks make the XRL look like a bada$$ machine, imo.

What did you do with the steering stem situation? I have a pair if 92 cr250 forks w/clamps that I plan on putting my my xr650l, and looking at it the cr stem is way long and the forks need to be shortened to keep the same ride heights. I am curious how you handled this.

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 17, 2008 - 02:16 PM

OK, I started my conversion last night, 90-91(?)CR500 USD forks. Almost done.
I have a turning radius problem due to oversize tank, and upper clamp that has bolts toward rear (need bolts in frt) and brake rotor bolts interfere slightly, although looks like wheel is where it should be. I am using XR wheel, CR axle/spacer, w/no odo. Do need to switch to CR wheel? Has anyone done this conversion using a desert tank? So besides the turning radius issue, and wheel rotor bolts hitting....it went pretty smooth. I Will have more up later. Any ideas/input/help on my issues? Thx in advance

I did this swap on an XR400, which should be nearly the same as the 600. I used 1991 CR250 forks. I used the XR wheel and the CR caliper clamp. I kept the XR caliper and it bolted right up. However, I did place a washer between the caliper mount and where it bolts to the fork, just to center the caliper with the rotor better.I had no rotor bolt interference. I used the XR axle and spacers except for the one that threads onto the end. I used the CR spacer there, because the lip on the XR kept it from resting in the axle clamps.

Well, I just bought another upper clamp, that has the bolt heads toward front. That should help a lot. The lower clamp is already drilled/tapped for stops that should work fine. I have to figure frt wheel spacing now. :cool:

FYI, different years have different tube diameters, so not all are interchangeable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:09 PM

I think that all I will need to do as well. Needs just a bit of clearance. All fits well, till axle is torqued, than bolts slightly rub

• Coolidge

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:17 PM

FYI, different years have different tube diameters, so not all are interchangeable.

...I got another style, but same year clamp. Ive been learning clamp-fit issues.... the hard way!

• Rockjockey

Posted January 17, 2008 - 04:25 PM

I had no fitment issues with my conversion using the IMS 4.0 tank. I have read on other forums of folks putting water in their tank and using a heat gun to soften the tank to shape it to the triple clamps using the clamps themselves.
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Only thing I can see that your L needs RJ, is a battery relo.! VERY nice.

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:42 AM

I did the same swap with my 600 (1999 XR600/1995 CR500) ......Anyway, nice swap! ........... Do you think you're going to have to re-spring/re-valve?

"O"

If the forks are stock and off of a '90 model 250/500, you will probably want to look into revalving and respringing to your weight and riding ability.

I bought a new '90 CR500 back in the day and that bike used to hammer the bejeezus out of me, I think they must have goofed on the valving.

Good lookin' job on the swap so far!

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Ive been learning clamp-fit issues.... the hard way!

Same here. I have a nice set of '93 CR250 triple clamps if anyone needs 'em.

• Rockjockey

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Only thing I can see that your L needs RJ, is a battery relo.! VERY nice.

I would probably do that if it were my only offroad bike but it rarely gets off the pavement. Only on gravel roads and when traffic backs up and my buddies on their Harleys are stuck like Chuck. I think a steering damper is next.

• Coolidge

Posted January 19, 2008 - 11:46 AM

OK... for now I have my stock tank on the bike, and I have full turning radius. The stops on the lower clamps actually match perfectly to the XR frame stops. The XR Fender bolted right up, w/no clearance issues. I do want to move the front wheel to center in the caliper better, and do something for the odo eliminator. Will post pics as things progress. Hope to take it out Sunday for a ride!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Next:
Posted Image
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:09 AM

How does it handle?

• Coolidge

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:41 AM

I handles Killer! I took it out Sunday, and rode Cal City w/Old Man & crew. Even @ my 150lbs, they seem perfect. Im able to hit the whoops much harder and ride much faster w/more control. I didnt feel as 'beat-up' as I felt w/the stock forks. Was a really good swap, I just have to get ODO/Speedo figured (Vapor?). Turn signals, etc remounted

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.