real new guy here. but 500 lover.

8 replies to this topic
  • tree18is

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:42 PM

so i got my 83 out of storage,and wow its not like i parked it.

well i put a clutch in it from along time ago. (barnett)

well not the thing doesn't disengage it enough to take off from idol. you kick it in gear and it dies.
So i went to bike bandit and looked at the microfiche and i didnt see any missing pieces. Ill ask then tomorrow or the next day ill disect it and get some pictures for you. but any usual suspects would be a help.
thanks alot.

• cleonard

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Was the clutch basket notched by the plates? If it is, the notches can hold the plates from disengaging all the way.

Did you soak the new clutch plates in oil before installing?

• tree18is

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:01 PM

yeah i soaked them. and the basket had the notches and i fit every disk in there.
its like the linkage is missing a link or something, the rod that goes over the case and pushes it to engagement isnt working or something.

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:06 PM

how thick of oil are you running? did you ride it around at all to see if it got better?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DGXR

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:29 AM

yeah i soaked them. and the basket had the notches and i fit every disk in there.
its like the linkage is missing a link or something, the rod that goes over the case and pushes it to engagement isnt working or something.

You might need to go in there again and file down the notches in the clutch basket/fingers. And it seems obvious, but make sure you've adjusted the cable at the lever perch and at the other end of the cable near the arm on the left side of the block so it pulls enough to disengage the plates. Otherwise it sound like you did everything fine. Hope this helps. :banghead: :busted:

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:32 AM

+1 on filing the notch's.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:40 AM

It might just be a case of stuck plates from sitting.

Dave

• HawkGT

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:44 AM

What he said ^^

I have never had good luck with Barnett clutch fibers. The last ones I used would drag badly--especially after sitting for a while. I think the fibers swell with oil over time and cause them to not be able to disengage. Change the oil, replace the fiber plates with OEM, and I bet you'll be good.

• tree18is

Posted January 16, 2008 - 04:27 PM

one more thing!
the arm that go's through the case cant even be disengaged with channel locks, i grabbed the lever with them to see if i could do it that way, and still a jam.. ill probably break it apart tonight for you guys though.
thanks so much!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.