Another CA plate WR450

22 replies to this topic
  • bwsully1

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Just got my new CA plate at AAA club. 2005 WR450 was transfered from NV to CA showed Title, Bill of sale and stated it had riden around 8500 miles. They reviewed my bike and verified engine ID and Vin# and handed me my new plate. All of 20 minutes, way to cool. Thanks for all your information:ride:

• maxtherat

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:34 PM

Glad it worked out for you. I only wish mine was that easy and I did mine about 4-5 years ago.

• Birdy426

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:54 PM

Welcome to the Plated WR club...it's a pretty exclusive club, kinda hard to get into now that everyone want in!

• ETP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to the Plated WR club...it's a pretty exclusive club, kinda hard to get into now that everyone want in!

Good job bwsully1.
An exclusive club indeed. It shows that the state to state transfer method is still alive.

• SXP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:14 AM

I'm not sure I would be advertising this. This case obviously slipped through the cracks as there is a form that the DMV OR AAA needs to check off saying the bike is emission compliant, and technically this bike is not. So, you got lucky with an inattentive AAA clerk who missed this little formality.

My advise - keep it on the down low:prof:

• bwsully1

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:43 AM

Roger that, SHHHHH Just between us friends

• SXP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:03 AM

Roger that, SHHHHH Just between us friends

Frankly, I would completely remove this thread.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Well congrats. I just got my renewal and paid the dmv instantly for sure. Love my plated WR450.

• William1

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Congrats on slipping through. I recently did the same to a 08 wr250F in VA.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:14 AM

This case obviously slipped through the cracks as there is a form that the DMV OR AAA needs to check off saying the bike is emission compliant, and technically this bike is not.

he didn't slip anything through the cracks...after 7500 miles you can bring any vehicle to California and register it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:23 AM

he didn't slip anything through the cracks...after 7500 miles you can bring any vehicle to California and register it.

I believe it still has to be emission compliant (has a sticker saying it's emission compliant for highway use). That little box has to be checked whether or not the vehicle is new or has 7500 miles on it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:31 AM

I believe it still has to be emission compliant (has a sticker saying it's emission compliant for highway use). That little box has to be checked whether or not the vehicle is new or has 7500 miles on it.

if that was the case then no one would be able to bring vehicles into california...there are many cars that are not 50 state legal :banghead:

and what if the sticker is not on the bike?

• 2lcf

Posted January 16, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Either way I am WAY jealous...............I want my 08 street legal..........:banghead:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 16, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I want my 08 street legal

send me a pm w/ phone number

• SXP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:22 PM

if that was the case then no one would be able to bring vehicles into california...there are many cars that are not 50 state legal :banghead:

and what if the sticker is not on the bike?

It is no longer LEGALLY possible to convert a motorcycle (I'm not sure if this applies to all OHVs, not just motorcycles, but I'm guessing it does) from an offroad vehicle, i.e., has an off-road emission sticker, to a street legal vehicle after 2/28/04. There are CARB and DMV regs that prohibit this (the thread I've linked below has pleanty of details). It doesn't matter where/when you bought the bike or how many miles on it (I believe the 7500 miles thing has more to do with avoiding sales taxes than anything else). People are slipping through the cracks due to the ignorance and/or deliberate oversight :ride: on the part of the people who are supposed to be enforcing the law (DMV, AAA, cops etc.) by checking that little emission compliant box. It's really as simple as that. If you have the time or the inclination to read through the thread below (long) you will find this issue beaten to death.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=281966

Let's not turn this into another thread like the one I've linked. The linked threads original location in the DS section is the proper place to be discussing this issue.

And, just so you know, I fully intend to exploit this "loophole" :busted: in a year or two, and hope like hell it hasn't been closed by then. Hence my (selfish) concern for publically advertising the success of a technically illegal procedure.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:26 PM

first off nice post...second for the guy above his bike was converted in another state and i would be willing to be that his title already says on road or motorcycle so for him there is not conversion or loop hole or anything illegal to what he is doing.

now the ca law does state that you can plate a dirt bike so as long as it meats on road emissions...which im sorry to say dirt bikes dont (why who knows i mean a semi trucks puts out more smog that a big ever will)

• SXP

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:39 PM

first off nice post...

Thanks!

second for the guy above his bike was converted in another state and i would be willing to be that his title already says on road or motorcycle so for him there is not conversion or loop hole or anything illegal to what he is doing

Not entirely true as they have tightened up on this one. Yes, he holds a valid street title from another state that doesn't care what the original purpose of the bike was, BUT as far as CA goes, a part of the process of registering the bike here includes the inspection/checking-off of the on-road emission sticker/compliance box (regardless of the fact the bike has an on-road title). Someone accidently or deliberately slipped up in allowing it through.

• byggd

Posted January 16, 2008 - 01:06 PM

The DMV/AAA giving you a plate isn't always the end. Cross you fingers that Sacrmento doesn't catch it. If/when you get a renewal next year you should bo golden.

• jasilva

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thanks!

Not entirely true as they have tightened up on this one. Yes, he holds a valid street title from another state that doesn't care what the original purpose of the bike was, BUT as far as CA goes, a part of the process of registering the bike here includes the inspection/checking-off of the on-road emission sticker/compliance box (regardless of the fact the bike has an on-road title). Someone accidently or deliberately slipped up in allowing it through.

Wrong, if the bike was plated in another state then their is no emissions check in CA other than that original equipment is in place, it DOES NOT have to meet CA standards. There was a court case on this several years ago, CA was forcing new residents to bring their vehicles up to CA standards in order to register, court said no way that was unreasonable. If the vehicle was used in another state for at least 7500 miles CA cannot force you to meet CA standards just the original standard for the state it came from.

Joe

• SXP

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:37 AM

Wrong, if the bike was plated in another state then their is no emissions check in CA other than that original equipment is in place, it DOES NOT have to meet CA standards. There was a court case on this several years ago, CA was forcing new residents to bring their vehicles up to CA standards in order to register, court said no way that was unreasonable. If the vehicle was used in another state for at least 7500 miles CA cannot force you to meet CA standards just the original standard for the state it came from.

Joe

That case was about people moving into the state and bringing in their vehicles. If you already reside here then that case does not apply. Also, there is a difference between a car vs. a converted dirt bike. The car has a sticker that says it meets federal standards for on road emissions. The converted dirt bike does not. The bike was never designed to meet these standards. The procedure for bringing a bike (or any vehicle) into the state says that you have to do a VIN verification which includes checking the emissions sticker for highway use.

Bottom line: People are still plating dirt bikes here because of inconsistencies in the enforcement of the law. If you get a clerk who is aware of the law you are SOL, and vice versa.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.