freshening the 06 for the season suggestions??

17 replies to this topic
  • skidooboy

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:20 PM

Guys, i am wanting to refresh the 06 450 i have heavily practiced and raced supermoto with. motor has 40 hours with fanatical oil changes (mobil 1 mx4). runs strong still but need to make sure it doesnt go boom mid season.

any suggestions for upgrades? oem piston, rings, gaskets, wrist pin and brg? or aftermarket high compression. i am running u4 fuel and looking to up the hp alittle without breaking the bank and making the bike less reliable.

planning on piston kit, timing chain and valve guides and seals. anything else i should look at maintaining or replacing or upgrading? cams???? all help and suggestions appreciated. ski

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Personally, for the piston and ring kit I would go with oem just because of the fact that you can expect them to hold up as good as they have so far. But if you plan on doing another piston and rings in the next few seasons, go a weisco high compression kit. More bang for the buck, but again not quite as dependable in my opinion. Definitely do a cam chain and pack your pipe also. Have fun -Cam

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Valve springs. That and the cam chain is the cheapest insurance against boom you'll ever be able to buy.

• dbehr624

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Gray - How often would you reccomend to replace valve springs and cam chain?

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Depends on how muxh and how hard you use the engine. Annually for the timing chain, because it's simple. 1-2 seasons for the valve springs, and whenever the valves are done.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:47 AM

Here is my suggestions:
New piston/rings, cam chain, CCT and possibly valve springs...although 40hrs is not much but you supermoto'd it right
Valve adjustment
also revalve forks/shock service and seals
check bearings in steering head etc....
lube all of them
Check clutch
new tires
chain/sprockets
I hope you meant U4.2......
otherwise get that carb off and completely clean it...ah clean it anyway you want FRESH! :banghead:

• Stripes123

Posted January 16, 2008 - 06:33 AM

Hey there Ski,

I replaced the piston and timing chain in my '06 this weekend after 25 hours and was surprised by the wear. The piston had plenty of scoring and the wrist pin was wearing also. I would suggest doing a leak down test as my valves are leaking way more than I would expect and will need to replace the valves and seats to get everything nice and tight again.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hey there Ski,

I replaced the piston and timing chain in my '06 this weekend after 25 hours and was surprised by the wear. The piston had plenty of scoring and the wrist pin was wearing also. I would suggest doing a leak down test as my valves are leaking way more than I would expect and will need to replace the valves and seats to get everything nice and tight again.

curious if you noticed timing chain stretching? How much?

• 642MX

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:10 AM

The timing chain is hard to see if its stretched or not. There is probably a measurement for this, but in the time it would take to measure the chain, you could have had it swapped out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:47 AM

The chain I swapped out of my '01 250F was significantly longer than the new one. The chain that came out of my '03 450 was only very slightly worn.

I'm due to do the one in Junior's '06 presently. Once done, I'll post findings.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:28 PM

The chain I swapped out of my '01 250F was significantly longer than the new one. The chain that came out of my '03 450 was only very slightly worn.

I'm due to do the one in Junior's '06 presently. Once done, I'll post findings.

the reason I am curious is I keep hearing about 06 Timing chain issues here and abroad. Someone also seized a 06 in Alabama a couple of weeks ago at a track I ride regularly.
I am considering a replacement for my 06 - any info on if the part number is the same or if a replacement from stock 06? :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:58 PM

todds924 told me not long ago that he took in an '08 that had skipped several teethe on the intake cam and had a kinked timing chain. What he found was a tensioner in which the internal spring had no particular tension on it, and would not tighten the chain properly.

I'm going to try to get the tensioner and open it up to determine, if possible, whether the spring was never properly assembled, or was broken or dislodged somehow.

But it might be a good thing to check your own:

> Roll the engine up against compression (or better, put it at TDC)

> Remove the center end plug from the tensioner.

> Turn the center shaft one half turn as if locking it back for removal and release it. It should snap back quickly and positively, with the kind of tension you are familiar with. If not, you have a problem in the making.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:05 PM

I never ran my 06 in a supermoto......but I raced it in 3 events in 06 until I damaged my wrist and ran 15 events out of 18 in 07 and had alot of practices on it before I put a piston and rings in. The bike had 52 hours on it when this was done and my mechanic said the cam and chain was in great shape along with the valves....said they were hardly any wear on them it now has 62 hours on it and is still strong. I am not saying Iam at Buba Stewart speed but Iam a exceptional B rider that finishes in the top five every year in the victory sports racing series if I am healty. I cant believe you guys are having to replace these things so soon,maybe the clutch or basic wear and tear on the chain and sprockets and tires. Am I missing something! or do I just need to ride a little harder?

• Stripes123

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:38 PM

I never ran my 06 in a supermoto......but I raced it in 3 events in 06 until I damaged my wrist and ran 15 events out of 18 in 07 and had alot of practices on it before I put a piston and rings in. The bike had 52 hours on it when this was done and my mechanic said the cam and chain was in great shape along with the valves....said they were hardly any wear on them it now has 62 hours on it and is still strong. I am not saying Iam at Buba Stewart speed but Iam a exceptional B rider that finishes in the top five every year in the victory sports racing series if I am healty. I cant believe you guys are having to replace these things so soon,maybe the clutch or basic wear and tear on the chain and sprockets and tires. Am I missing something! or do I just need to ride a little harder?

Do a leakdown test and that will determine how strong the motor still is or isn't.

• Stripes123

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Didn't even think to compare. It's what a $15 part to replace and helps keep the gears from wearing if replaced often.

• yz426em

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Not trying to hyjack the thread but can you install a 08 piston in a 06 or 07 and be better off than a stock 07 piston?

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:48 AM

You can install one. In what way would you be better off?

• skidooboy

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:50 PM

anyone have a line on where to get je, or cp piston kits? parts unlimited, tucker rocky? need an outlet to look so my dealer can order them. i have the main stuff (tires, bearings, suspension) all set, just freshening the motor for the upcomming season is all that is left to do. as always all help appreciated. ski

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.