XR650L Air Filter maint,

8 replies to this topic
  • split484

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:49 PM

OK - anyone running the pleated K&N filter? Does this thing need cleaning and oiling as maintenance? or will it suffice to just blow any dirt out with compressed air and reinstall?

• Rockjockey

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:57 PM

They recommend their cleaning solution and re oiling with their oil. Be advised though if you do any offroad riding in dusty conditions they are prone to allowing fine dust to pass through them. Compressed air will damage the K&N.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:48 PM

Buy their cleaning kit (available at Autozone for about $12). The cleaning kit contains a soapy spray on wash solution that really cleans it up under low pressure water. After completely drying, the kit comes with a spray on oil colored red, that gives good coverage and soaks the pleats well. The kit lasts for several cleanings..for me four times. Really much better than using compressed air. They actually don't recommend high air or water pressure for cleaning. Good luck.

BTW, I ride alot in dusty conditions with it, and I have not had problems with fine dust getting past the filter. However, if I did it again, I probably would just go with a Uni Air Filter with Super Tacky spray on oil. I think I've just been lucky with how mines seals.

• KAS

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Yes, they need maintenance (cleaning & oiling) just like any filter. Compressed air could damage the gauze.

I'd toss it and buy a quality foam filter and some Bel-Ray oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:40 AM

I run a precharger(fine screen slip on) on my 600R with the K&N. Last year it was running funny like cutting out up top, loss of power. Pulled the precharger and K&N off, cleaned it and what a difference. I won't run that setup in dusty conditions anymore since it only lasted about a day before I could feel it starve. I run a Uni with good filter oil now for offroad. The K&N is perhaps the best for road use, but I wouldn't run it in dry, dusty conditions.

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Can the K&N! They let way too much fine particulate in. Get a uni foam filter.

• split484

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:07 AM

thanks everyone - I'm not running this thing on trails anymore...OK it might see some fire roads every-other-year-or-so....

I'm just getting ready for a commute. I think the XR will do a bit better than the 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel truck

BTW - self hijack...:banghead: when is it appropriate to use this emoticon?

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 11:19 AM

thanks everyone - I'm not running this thing on trails anymore...OK it might see some fire roads every-other-year-or-so....

I'm just getting ready for a commute. I think the XR will do a bit better than the 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel truck

BTW - self hijack...:busted: when is it appropriate to use this emoticon?

When you're hungry for fruit? When you just want to see a jackin' banana?:banghead:

• Old Dog

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:23 PM

BTW - self hijack...:busted: when is it appropriate to use this emoticon?

When you're happy and you know it, and your Banana wants to show it??:crazy: :p :prof: :applause: :cool:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.