Is rear tire lots harder to change than front?

38 replies to this topic
  • angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I changed the tube on the front tire and didn't think it was too hard, except for that last 10 inches putting the tire back on, and I think maybe that was because I was at the valve stem and the rim-lock was holding the tire out too much. Anyway, how much harder is the rear tire? I have a new rear to put on, but if it's much much harder I'll probably just take it somewhere to get it done. If it's not that much worse to do I'll just try it myself. I think the only place that does it around here is about $40 if I take the tire off the bike for them. That's not so much, but they are about 1hr drive, cause I live out in the sticks. What do yall think?

• desert4seat

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:19 PM

Personally, I think they’re bout the same. If I had to decide I’d rather change a front (only because it’s easier to remove).

40 BUCKS?!?? What a :banghead: rip!!! 40 bucks buys a tube and a 1/2! LOL! heavy duty!

OK...Remove the idea from your head of a shop doing your change, you gotta just do it! One day… you’ll be far from a shop....and all the money in the world wont help.:ride:

I remember going through like 5 tubes before I learned all the tricks! It was SO frustrating – I almost caved!
Now its super easy.

Research on the net really helps!
Besides, Nothing like doing things yerself! :busted:

• markseaba

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:24 PM

first off, $40 to mount the tire, yikes, second, IMO, the rear is a LOT harder than the front. I will do thr fronts myself, then take the rear over to the shop and gladly give them $10 to do it. Here, $20 would be the hi end.

• Horri

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Rears slightly more tricky..Procedure..Undo Valve nut till its just about off the Stem..Do the same with the RimLocks.Chuck the wheel on the ground and break the seal of the Tyre from the Rim on both sides by standing or jumping(whatever it takes)on the side of the tyre.Once thats broken on both sides push both the Valve Stem and the Rim locks out so they are just held in by the Nut that you have wound all the way out.Place the Wheel on the ground with the Sprocket side up..Get your Tyre Irons and do the business,,making sure the Tyre is pushed away from the Rim by standing on it..It shouldn't be really tight to get off...if it is, flick it over and check the seals broken correctly on the other side . Once one sides off Remove the Tube remove RimLock ..Flick her over and do the same to the other side..Putting back on is more of the same..

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:46 PM

Ok, so if it's not worth 40 bucks, then I'll just do it myself. Like I said, I didn't find the front too hard, I just thought the rear might be a whole different story, it seems much stiffer. I am a diy kinda guy, but age brings a little wisdom on some things. Some things are not worth the hassle for the money you save. I'll probably try it this weekend. Thanks

• Horri

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hey if you're a rich man then by all means get someone else to do it.Its a dirty job that involves sweat dripping from the brow skinned knuckles and grease and dirt all over your hands.But you need to learn it for the odd occasion their are no shops or if you ride events where part of the competition is changing tyres,,ISDT/ Baja etc.

• Rockjockey

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:06 PM

Just a little tip, when putting the rear back together use lots of baby powder to lube the tire and tube, it prevents the tube from chafing and makes assembly easier. Put a little air in the tube (just enough to make it take shape, 1/2lb or so) once you get it in the tire before putting the last bead on the rim and it greatly decreases your chance of pinching the tube during installation. A small tool called a Motion Pro bead buddy helps also.

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:07 PM

No i'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. That's why I asked about it. I plan to do it myself this weekend. That is, if the new baby holds out till monday like the doc says.

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the tip about the air in the tube, that how I did the front, but I think I had too much, because the tire didn't want to stay down good when I was working with the opposite side. I let some air out and it got easier.

• Horri

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:13 PM

Good advice Rockjockey..I usually spray a bit of CRC Lubricant around the tire when inflating it to get it to pop out correctly,,Nothing worse than the old buckled fit type thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lilyamaharacer9

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:14 PM

holy crap man i can get a new tube put in and tire put back on for 10 bucks

• Maroast

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:15 PM

OK...Remove the idea from your head of a shop doing your change, you gotta just do it!

One day… you’ll be far from a shop....and all the money in the world wont help.:busted:

I remember going through like 5 tubes before I learned all the tricks! It was SO frustrating – I almost caved! Now its super easy.

Besides, Nothing like doing things yerself!

Thats some solid advice right there. If you ride enough, you WILL eventually get a flat where no one but yourself can help you... practice makes perfect.

I've changed a lot of tires in the few years I've been riding, and I manage to learn something new every time I do it...there is a proper technique, and the only way to learn is by doing.

on another note, the parts shop I use to buy all my stuff from in Dallas would mount and balance the tires for FREE if you bought the tires from them and brought in your wheels...their prices on tires were fantastic too!!! now that was a great shop! :banghead:

• C333

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I help you now. Now go change tire round eye.

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:21 PM

There is one shop around here that is like 10 or 15 bucks to change one, but they won't do a tire with rim locks. Anyway, I'm going to do it myself so it doesn't matter. I thought about using wd40 on the tire I changed when reinstalling it but I didn't know if that was ok. I did use baby powder.

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:24 PM

LOL thanks c333, I saw those videos a long time ago and looked all over for them before doing the front tire this weekend, but couldn't find them. I think that guy does an excellent job explaining it. I'm saving them now.

• iracekx

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:25 PM

[COLOR="Red"]I think that they are about the same I have done tons of them and get faster each time I have to do one. Get the big tire irons they make a world of difference in doing the job. @ things that will help is a bead buddy and a valve stem puller from pitposse.com makes the job easier also. Get some talc to put in the tire the pros use it and they usually know what they are doing. If you are a do it your selfer then this will be no problem get some soapy water or tire soap to help it slip down and you will be back on the track in no time. I have had to do tube changes at the track during the races so I think that it is important to learn to do it yourself.[/COLOR]

• C333

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:26 PM

LOL thanks c333, I saw those videos a long time ago and looked all over for them before doing the front tire this weekend, but couldn't find them. I think that guy does an excellent job explaining it. I'm saving them now.

NP I just got done with one 'bout ten minutes ago. Until I saw that vid I was spending 20 bucks a pop. Glad I could help.:banghead:

• xr650l bum

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:06 PM

I am not a big fan of using all the lubricant type stuff when changing the tube. Practice makes perfect. The stem puller is my next purchase. I have trouble getting my big hands inside the tire and lining up the valve stem. After that it is all down hill. You will appreciate all your hard work when you are in the middle of nowhere. Just remember to bring all your tools with you. Good luck!

One other thing. While you have the tire off, take off the rimlock and duct tape around the center of the rim covering the nipples.

• scalejockey

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:19 PM

If you get a Maxxis desert IT Have someone else mount it. I have done lots and lots of tires in 30 years and have never had one this tough.

And i change tires for other people just for fun!!

• 06crf_er

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I help you now. Now go change tire round eye.

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

Mr. Miagi beat me to it.:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.