Clutch plates,pressure plate and basket

15 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:49 PM

I have a 06 450f with about 62 practices and racing hrs on it and was wondering if I need to replace the plates in it. I dont know how long you should get out of the plates,basket,pressure plate and inner hub. When you look at replacing the whole assembly......:busted: man its expensive. I have been using amsoil mcf 10-40 since about I had 8hrs on the bike. I have about four threads left at the clutch perch to adjust out. When the bike is on the stand the rear wheel spins when the throttle is applied but you can hold the tire when appling the throttle and it wont move. Also It wants to lunge forward just a little when in 2 gear with the clutch pulled in at the gate while reving. I just wonder if I can get a new clutch cable and plates or do you replace the basket and inner hub and pressure plate when you change out the clutch plates.......:banghead: Any info will be appreciated

• KJ790

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:52 PM

You don't need to replace anything in the clutch as long as it is not worn out or damaged. Take it apart and see how it looks. Measure everything and compare the measurements to the ones in the owner's manual. If the basket is really notched then you can file it smooth to save money, but it will notch again in less time and you will eventually need to replace it. If it is not notched then you don't need to replace it.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Do I need to drain the oil out before I take a look?

• KJ790

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:23 PM

Do I need to drain the oil out before I take a look?

You can, but it is easier to just lay it on it's side. If you don't want to pull the brake pedal off, you can pry the back brake pads apart and that will make it possible to pull your brake pedal down out of the way to pull off the clutch cover. Just remember to pump your brakes back up when you're done.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:17 PM

What is the main reason that causes the basket to notch? and would replacing the clutch plates regularly.......like every 30 hours or so keep the basket from notching.

• KJ790

Posted January 16, 2008 - 06:00 PM

The basket will notch from the clutch loading and unloading, thus slamming the tabs on the plates against the fingers of the basket. When you file it down to remove the notches you give the plates more room to slap, thus making notch again in less time. Notching will happen over time to pretty much any clutch, but it will happen faster if you abuse the clutch. If you are a person that abuses a clutch, you will most likely be wearing out a few sets of plates before you need a basket. There isn't any way that I can think of to prevent your basket from getting notched other than taking it easy on the clutch when you ride. You will see if it is notched when you look at it.

• KJ790

Posted January 16, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Here is a picture of a notched basket that I found:
Posted Image

• 02YZ426

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:07 PM

If you don't want to pull the brake pedal off, you can pry the back brake pads apart and that will make it possible to pull your brake pedal down out of the way to pull off the clutch cover.

Thats a good trick to know!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrecking crew

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:04 AM

What will the notches in the basket cause? will it cause it to feel as if it is hanging in gear?

• KJ790

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:18 AM

When the notches are first forming you will notice that your clutch engagement is not as smooth as it used to be. As they get worse your clutch may start to act funny, such as occasionally slipping, chattering, or feeling grabby. When they get really bad your clutch can get hung up on them and slip, never fully engaging.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Yea!.....looks just like the basket that was in my 04 250 smoker. I guess I will take the cover off and take a look at the 450s. If the basket looks fine will I just need to get clutch plates and maybe a new clutch cable? and will I need to get new springs for the clutch?.....If so which brand is best to go with for the clutch springs and plates?......When I take the basket and plates out I will measure everything like the plates and springs to see if it is wore bad.

• KJ790

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:14 AM

If the basket isn't notched then you can leave it alone. You probably don't need springs, but it wouldn't hurt to get some if you want, they are cheap to replace. Take out your friction plates and steel plates and measure everything as shown in the owner's manual. If everything is in spec then you can put it back together and you are good to go. This is all said assuming that you haven't been having clutch problems (which you haven't said that your clutch was not working properly to begin with). If you were already having clutch problems, then you need to find the source, measuring everything normally narrows that down. If you do replace the friction plates make sure to soak them in oil for a while before you put them in.

• KJ790

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:18 AM

As for brands, if you haven't had any issues with stock then that is the cheapest way to go. If you want something a little better I'd say go with Hinson or DP.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 09:30 AM

As for brands, if you haven't had any issues with stock then that is the cheapest way to go. If you want something a little better I'd say go with Hinson or DP.

OEM Yamaha are not likely to be the cheapest you can find, but that's not what you want anyway, since the cheapest usually costs less for good reason.

The stock plates are excellent, however. Hinson or Yamaha GYT-R are and upgrade you can use if the stock ones don't seem to do well for you. I'm not familiar with DP, but I'd avoid low cost replacement plates.

• KJ790

Posted January 18, 2008 - 12:16 PM

OEM Yamaha are not likely to be the cheapest you can find, but that's not what you want anyway, since the cheapest usually costs less for good reason.

The stock plates are excellent, however. Hinson or Yamaha GYT-R are and upgrade you can use if the stock ones don't seem to do well for you. I'm not familiar with DP, but I'd avoid low cost replacement plates.

yes, that's what I meant. OEM plates would be the cheapest plates you can get that are worth using. I haven't used GYT-R plates, but they are supposed to be good. I know Hinson and DP plates are great as well. Team pro circuit has been using DP clutches for years, and I have been running one in one of my bikes for a while now with great success. They are a bit more expensive than Hinson, but they do work great.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:03 PM

yes, that's what I meant. OEM plates would be the cheapest plates you can get that are worth using.

There you go.

I haven't used GYT-R plates, but they are supposed to be good.

For a very long time, all the GYT-R clutch parts including the plates were re-branded Hinson stuff. Top quality. I've heard it said that someone else is making them now, but I only heard that once and haven't been able to verify it. Either way, they should still work as well as anything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.