2008 Racer X 450 Comparison Test

17 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:25 PM

http://www.racerxill...0-shootout.aspx

pretty much emulates my opinion......:banghead: I have rode all but the Suzuki
I do not like the Honda forks as they seem very very harsh over chop....but I would revalve anyway if I was a red owner - but a very complete pkg
Yami needs to go back to the 06 powerplant (or the CRF motor, kidding) - then it would be the perfect bike
kawi - suk - KTM....all are nice with more issues to fix

• rickallen124

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:08 PM

I've heard that the 08 head was desinged to be used with FI and therefore has a larger intake tract then the previous models. When yamaha decided not to use fi they changed the cam settings etc to get back some of the low end which was lost due to the lower velocity of the intake. I've been told that the 06 head with the 07 cams is the best setup if you can afford it. Right now I can't wait for the weather to clear so that I can test my new yoshimura pipe:applause:

• Wiz636

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:11 PM

I've heard that the 08 head was desinged to be used with FI and therefore has a larger intake tract then the previous models. When yamaha decided not to use fi they changed the cam settings etc to get back some of the low end which was lost due to the lower velocity of the intake. I've been told that the 06 head with the 07 cams is the best setup if you can afford it. Right now I can't wait for the weather to clear so that I can test my new yoshimura pipe:applause:

That's interesting.

• KJ790

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:31 PM

I don't believe this. For one thing, the 06 head and the 07 head are the same part number, there is no difference. Then, I don't believe that Yamaha ever intended to run FI in 2008. Yamaha said back in 2006 not to expect FI in production on the YZ450F until 2009 at the earliest. For Yamaha to redesign their manufacturing equipment to build a different head for FI, then they would have to be pretty serious about producing it. To abandon the idea after the manufacturing equipment was already designed and built for producing the new head would mean that they abandoned the idea of producing FI with less than 12 months before the bike's release (probably less). This would not be enough time to design, build a prototype, test, change manufacturing equipment, and produce a new cam.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:18 PM

I don't entirely buy it either. I've heard a variety of "insider" stories from factory people during my career, and while a certain number of them are founded in fact, the amount of rumor, conjecture, and pure BS that comes even from the "inside" is a fairly high percentage of the total.

The '08 head and cams are all 3 different PN's than the earlier ones were, but then again, the port configuration was changed in '06 (a major improvement according to Ron Hamp), and the '06 has different cams than the '07 in any case. But this strikes me as nothing more than Yamaha tinkering with things.

Probably trying to make it work with "that pipe" ( :banghead: )

• Family Man

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:18 PM

As far as I can tell the mag tests are just ridiculous. they use 1 pro and three ams and let them ride the bikes at one track for one day tops, then claim BIKE OF THE YEAR. My favorite paraphrase " the yamaha felt like you could ride it the fastest for the longest period of time..." yet it didnt win? ***

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:29 PM

As far as I can tell the mag tests are just ridiculous. they use 1 pro and three ams and let them ride the bikes at one track for one day tops, then claim BIKE OF THE YEAR. My favorite paraphrase " the yamaha felt like you could ride it the fastest for the longest period of time..." yet it didnt win? ***

I agree with ya Family Man. The magazine bike tests are entertaining at best. Reliability is the #1 concern in my book, and they hardly ever mention it. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Reliability is tough to flush out in the context of a one day shoot out unless a bike is so bad it breaks 3 time in the day.

Most of the shootouts are short duration tests. MXA and Dirt Bike try to take a week or so with the bikes, but that's still nothing compared to the 2 months or more they put into a teston an individual bike.

As favorably as the Yamaha did in this and the TWMX shoot out, I have to agree that it really doesn't mean that much.

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:54 PM

Reliability is tough to flush out in the context of a one day shoot out unless a bike is so bad it breaks 3 time in the day.

Very true. Dirt Rider used to do long term tests, but not on all the 450's......they would just do one on the RMZ for example. I think it would be better if they kept the bikes and beat on them for a whole year and then did a second report on reliability.

Not sure if Dirt Rider still does any long term testing, I stopped susbscribing because the rest of the magazine is pretty boring IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure of just how accurate the information I was told was. Has anyone measured the intake tract to see if it is a larger diameter than the 06/07 heads? Isn't the head supposed to have a more direct route to the intake valves on the 08? In any event they are great bikes hampered by a choked up exhaust.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:01 PM

In any event they are great bikes hampered by a choked up exhaust.

Yeah. So use that to filter some of the comments made in the two comparisons and you'll find the YZ sitting in a different spot.

Consider the comments about the way the suspension works, and how it handles overall, and ask yourself if achieving that is easier than bolting on an exhaust system.

• erickdj

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:47 PM

Yeah. So use that to filter some of the comments made in the two comparisons and you'll find the YZ sitting in a different spot.

Consider the comments about the way the suspension works, and how it handles overall, and ask yourself if achieving that is easier than bolting on an exhaust system.

Well, I have the 08. It was certainly very easy to switch that "shorty" pipe for the full 06 stock exhaust, there was QUITE a difference in performance from that change alone. The 08 is an amazing bike all around.(once the exhaust is dealt with).

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:48 AM

They did use the whole canyon/sidewalk crack analogy which the way I took it was they were more or less looking for something to pick apart than finding something. These bikes are so close in (on track performance) its more like picking the redhead or the blond right....you pick the one with the traits and curves you desire. Although IMO, the yamaha is like getting the trophy wife that is going to be around for a while and she won't suck you dry with unexspected exspenses.

• BergArabia

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:35 AM

Reliability is the #1 concern in my book, and they hardly ever mention it. :banghead:

This is why I bought my YZ when I did, because of what I read about reliability of various bikes at the time.. didn't read about reliability in any magazines, but on TT..:busted:

• Scspringer912

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:12 AM

i have had crf 450 since 02 and i just sold my 07 never have i had a prob with anything, but i keep hearing how bad they are. I am just a punk kid that used to be kind of fast. now i just ride 2 or 3 times a month and only practice A & B. My buddy got an 08 yz 450 and we rode them back to back to my 07 honda. both bikes are stock. I can tell you what that yz 450 did everything EVERYTHING better than my honda except the low end. I am so content on getting a yz and throwing a pipe on it its not even funny. i Dont' understand guys though. I know when i used to ride a lot all i cared about was how it handled and if it would last. Remember you can always make a bike faster, but handling and suspension is a PAIN in the REAR..

08 yz 450 for me or keep waiting for 09's

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:49 AM

Remember you can always make a bike faster, but handling and suspension is a PAIN in the REAR..

That right there is my point exactly. Engines are easy.

• 642MX

Posted January 16, 2008 - 01:12 PM

This is why I bought my YZ when I did, because of what I read about reliability of various bikes at the time.. didn't read about reliability in any magazines, but on TT..:banghead:

So why did you get a CRF?

• Scspringer912

Posted January 16, 2008 - 01:53 PM

because i used to get help from a honda shop, and i had no probs with the 02 honda. So i just kept getting them. Hell i would get another no com plants i just want to try something new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.