XR650L Fuel injection might be possible, and easy...

64 replies to this topic
  • Ryanthegreat1

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:18 PM

Megasquirt is the name of the fuel injection I used. It is totaly self programable. Very low cost. Easy to set up. Gives maximum power, and maximum economy. My XR650L is turbocharged, and the Megaquirt works fine with it. If you want it can control spark advance also. I'm not going to say much more because this forum seemed to be very aggressive, and I am a sensitive person to negative comments. Please go to the Megasquirt site. It will answer all your questions. It has been in use for many years. If someone needs installation help, I can assist.

I have to say a turboed 650l is AWESOME! Any chance you have pictures or are close to Olympia it would be great to check out a piece of engineering like that.

• ToXicD

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:32 PM

Midnight, what kind of throttle bodies did you use, and what kinds can you use. Throttle body size, injector size etc.

• BeeDub

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for coming on and posting Captain Midnight! It's true, there are [I]some[I] dudes on here that seem to have what I like to call an unhealthy sense of internet courage. That's why I've tried to steer this thread into talking about nothing but putting EFI on an XR650L, and if the thread dies out so be it, I just don't want it to turn into a completely different topic. Anyway, sounds like you, or at least some good friends have some serious technical expertise in tinkering around with new ideas that most would be wary of, including me.

I don't know enough about EFI or carburetors to even attempt this without having some sort of laid out plan. I also don't have the money to spend on this (at least not at this very moment), but it would be awesome to see exactly how it was done for future reference. I'm sure we'd have a lot more guys trying it and working on ironing out some bugs, such as the previously mentioned fuel starvation. Do you ride off-road? Have you had any problems related to fuel starvation?

Thanks again, there are several guys on here who appreciate your input!!!

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:07 PM

Megasquirt is the name of the fuel injection I used. It is totaly self programable. Very low cost. Easy to set up. Gives maximum power, and maximum economy. My XR650L is turbocharged, and the Megaquirt works fine with it. If you want it can control spark advance also. I'm not going to say much more because this forum seemed to be very aggressive, and I am a sensitive person to negative comments.

You have a turbocharged EFI 650L and are worried about negative comments? :cool:

How are you getting a tach signal to the MegaSquirt? With fuel-only it's not a big deal, but I noticed that you're running a GM 7-pin HEI module and COP. Usually a single cylinder engine has very erratic RPM between combustion events and the MS benefits from a 36-1 trigger wheel when doing spark control.

I have essentially the same MS equipment(including a turbo) that you do, but it's not installed on anything. Naturally it has crossed my mind to put it on my XR600. :applause:

• stepho

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:25 PM

Hi guys I will send pictures of our crank trigger and our sensor mount when I get back from lobster fishing on monday. our trigger is on the inside of the flywheel, next to the starter ring gear.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:31 PM

Does it use a Hall sensor or a variable reluctor? Is it a special part that's heat and oil resistant, or something generic?

• stepho

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:37 PM

its a vrs

• stepho

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:14 PM

here is the flywheel.Posted Image

• stepho

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:15 PM

here is another picture. note missing tooffPosted Image

• stepho

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:17 PM

here is our sensor and mount.Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Holy crap, thanks!

Your h-beam rod and oil squirter is showing! :cool:

• stepho

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:22 PM

thats nuthin:thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:29 PM

thats nuthin:thumbsup:

All I can do is shake my head and wonder what you guys won't share with the public.

Not that I'm begging, but if ya'll need an apprentice.....or ME.....:cool:

• stepho

Posted January 21, 2008 - 07:38 PM

pictures say a thousand words.

• Captain Midnight

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:42 AM

here is another picture. note missing tooffPosted Image

How does a multi-tooth wheel and pickup improve timing over just using the stock pickup?

• stepho

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:28 AM

mostly in very low rpm systems or when you are dealing with a very inefficient motor (single cylinder). check this sight out.
http://trigger-wheel...ore/index1.html

• martinfan30

Posted January 22, 2008 - 08:49 AM

I take it one of those trigger wheels is the right size?

Damn you Stepho, now i gotta start thinking about that!

Very nice job on that L engine...:cool:

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:36 PM

How does a multi-tooth wheel and pickup improve timing over just using the stock pickup?

I alluded to that here:

Usually a single cylinder engine has very erratic RPM between combustion events and the MS benefits from a 36-1 trigger wheel when doing spark control.

The problem is that the actual crank rpm varies quite a bit between revolutions on single cylinder engines. With only one trigger per event, the EFI computer needs several revolutions to figure out what's going on. This causes the timing to jump around a lot. With 36 triggers per revolution instead , the ECU can follow the erratic low-rpm crank speed accurately and maintain accurate ignition timing.

Running with only fuel control isn't a big deal because the ECU only need to know when to fire the injector(s). It doesn't really matter if the fuel sprays when the intake valve is open or not.

• martinfan30

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:49 PM

I dont know about your last statement HT. I would think if the injector fires during a closed int valve, that fuel/air mix will tend to puddle.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:22 PM

I know it sounds kind of weird, but that's how all the non-sequential injection systems work(MegaSquirt, BigStuff3, FAST, and even high-dollar Motecs without the sequential upgrade and many OEM systems). In a batch-fire system, all the injectors fire at once. If that system is on a multi-cylinder engine, then there will inevitably be cylinders that get fuel when the valve is closed. Bank-to-bank injection alternates between two injector channels. MegaSquirt has two injector channels and can be set up as batch fire or bank-to-bank. It won't have sequential capability until the router board is released, but it's not necessary on a single nor most twin-cylinder engines. Those can be set up as sequential if only two injector channels are needed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.