XR650L Fuel injection might be possible, and easy...

64 replies to this topic
  • stepho

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:11 AM

that stuff is old news we have been doing it for years. But we have never jumped one of our bikes. Easy? Depends who you ask. We are in search of a larger battery. The starter draws a lot of voltage from the system and goes below the minimum requirements of the ecu. Fun stuff though.
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 11:16 AM

:banghead:

that stuff is old news we have been doing it for years. But we have never jumped one of our bikes. Easy? Depends who you ask. We are in search of a larger battery. The starter draws a lot of voltage from the system and goes below the minimum requirements of the ecu. Fun stuff though.
Posted Image

:busted: :ride: :D :D :D

• michaelxr

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:09 PM

I will welcome fuel injection as long as it get's us more powerful and more efficient motors for our motorcycles so they'll pass CARB restrictions here in California.

I'd like to see more big bore, dual sport bikes from the big 4 Japanese companies, and I'm not talking about the 650L or DR650 motors. If they can use fuel injection on a XR650R type motor to pass emissions for street legal duty, then put it in an upgraded chassis that is lighter weight for more of a 50/50 dual sport, that would be great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think smaller manufacturers like KTM and Husqvarna can sell street legal high horsepower dirt bikes because they don't have to meet the same emissions standards as the higher volume big 4 Japanese companies. If this in fact is the case, then hopefully fuel injection can allow a high volume manufacturer like Honda to put out a more dirt worthy dual sport bike.

At least I sure hope so. Depending on this year's elections, I see more and more forest roads and OHV areas closing due to emissions and noise. The only way we are going to be able to go out on outdoor motorcycle adventures is to have a legitimate street legal bike that can connect those OHV trails which will become fewer and farther between. Those of us with a more aggressive off road riding style are going to need more of a selection of dual sport bikes than what's out there now.

• BeeDub

Posted January 16, 2008 - 01:27 PM

I will welcome fuel injection as long as it get's us more powerful and more efficient motors for our motorcycles so they'll pass CARB restrictions here in California.

I'd like to see more big bore, dual sport bikes from the big 4 Japanese companies, and I'm not talking about the 650L or DR650 motors. If they can use fuel injection on a XR650R type motor to pass emissions for street legal duty, then put it in an upgraded chassis that is lighter weight for more of a 50/50 dual sport, that would be great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think smaller manufacturers like KTM and Husqvarna can sell street legal high horsepower dirt bikes because they don't have to meet the same emissions standards as the higher volume big 4 Japanese companies. If this in fact is the case, then hopefully fuel injection can allow a high volume manufacturer like Honda to put out a more dirt worthy dual sport bike.

At least I sure hope so. Depending on this year's elections, I see more and more forest roads and OHV areas closing due to emissions and noise. The only way we are going to be able to go out on outdoor motorcycle adventures is to have a legitimate street legal bike that can connect those OHV trails which will become fewer and farther between. Those of us with a more aggressive off road riding style are going to need more of a selection of dual sport bikes than what's out there now.

Well, I'm sure that about 99.9% of us agree with you and there are quite a few threads discussing these matters; however, all I'm looking for here is more input on the possibilities of doing an economical upgrade to this particular bike. You make some good points, and I don't want you to get the impression I don't agree, but I've seen posts get way too off topic when we start talking about these issues, and I'm stuck with this bike at least until I win the lottery or get my next year's bonus. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 01:45 PM

The XR650L is a very capable offroad bike. If you are small, maybe not... Go ride a DRZ.

• BeeDub

Posted January 16, 2008 - 02:20 PM

The XR650L is a very capable offroad bike. If you are small, maybe not... Go ride a DRZ.

Don't feed it! Please don't feed the destruction of the thread! If anyone starts asking what the best 50/50 tire is in the content of this thread, I'm going to puke.

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 02:51 PM

My appologies BDUB.

The picture of stephos injection system looks very nice. The only thing that makes that setup out of reach for most, is the welded intake ports. Then machined new ports on a more straight, up and down path.

• BeeDub

Posted January 16, 2008 - 03:32 PM

My appologies BDUB.

The picture of stephos injection system looks very nice. The only thing that makes that setup out of reach for most, is the welded intake ports. Then machined new ports on a more straight, up and down path.

No worries, just imposing my pseudo moderator authority! :busted:

I'm sure they don't have the time to keep every thread on point.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the heck I'm looking at on Stephos motor! Not sure I know what I'm looking at with that chassis they built for it either, but they sure seem to know how to make power out of this thing! :banghead: That's why I started this thread though, to learn...

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 04:21 PM

Just look and compare the angle at which those twin throttle bodies go into the head. The stock design with a carb has a more horizontal intake path. which means the fuel/air mixture has to take a sharp turn just before hitting the intake valves and entering the combustion chamber. This really restricts flow.

With stepho's setup, they made new intake ports that are straight, and come down from almost the top of the head straight into the combustion chamber. This makes really good flow. More HP.

• stepho

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:04 PM

[QUOTEhowever, all I'm looking for here is more input on the possibilities of doing an economical upgrade to this particular bike][/QUOTE]
Im out!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:17 AM

I take it its not very affordable.

• BeeDub

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I take it its not very affordable.

HAHAHAHA!!! I got the same impression. Actually, I'm still hoping that Captain Midnight guy notices the thread because he's the one who posted in the other thread that he did it on his L with a Megasquirt system, and it was cheap, easy, and it works good. Maybe he can answer whether he's had the fuel starvation problems.

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:19 AM

I think he's on XRLUG more than here. Or maybe it was fourstrokes.

• BeeDub

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:59 AM

I'll pm him.

• Captain Midnight

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:22 PM

Megasquirt is the name of the fuel injection I used. It is totaly self programable. Very low cost. Easy to set up. Gives maximum power, and maximum economy. My XR650L is turbocharged, and the Megaquirt works fine with it. If you want it can control spark advance also. I'm not going to say much more because this forum seemed to be very aggressive, and I am a sensitive person to negative comments. Please go to the Megasquirt site. It will answer all your questions. It has been in use for many years. If someone needs installation help, I can assist.

• ToXicD

Posted January 18, 2008 - 02:20 AM

I checked out their website but it seems as if it comes with just the controller. It would be nice if they sold the other parts like the injectors, throttle body, o2 sensors and things like that. Their FAQ section is helpful but someone who knows nothing about fi systems may have a hard time understanding it.

• ToXicD

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:45 AM

Stepho, checkout Joe racer products, they carry compact battery cells you may be able to use to up your voltage. Also have you tried re winding your stator?

• zrxer

Posted January 18, 2008 - 06:09 AM

Megasquirt is the name of the fuel injection I used. It is totaly self programable. Very low cost. Easy to set up. Gives maximum power, and maximum economy. My XR650L is turbocharged, and the Megaquirt works fine with it. If you want it can control spark advance also. I'm not going to say much more because this forum seemed to be very aggressive, and I am a sensitive person to negative comments. Please go to the Megasquirt site. It will answer all your questions. It has been in use for many years. If someone needs installation help, I can assist.

Do you have pics of your turbo and fuel injection set up? That's very cool by the way. Bruce

• martinfan30

Posted January 18, 2008 - 10:00 AM

Dont let it bother you... Its nothing but words.

• Captain Midnight

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:13 PM

Megasquirt $139.00
Used throttle body with injectors $65.00
Used in tank, non return line, fuel pump $125.00
Wide band O2 sensor for tuning $199.00
Used head temp sensor $2.00

To make ignition work

Coil on plug $14.00
Used GM 7 pin ignition modual $2.00

Total was about the cost of a FCR carb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.