The list XR650L

25 replies to this topic
  • rontheman13

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:19 PM

I just bought a new XR650L. I have owned XR's in the past from a 1989ish XR500 to my first bike an XR 75. I have not ridden a motorcycle since I sold my ZX 1100 in 1997 and have been doing the jeep thing. I just moved to California City and am working at jawbone canyon and had to get me a new bike. I have to say it’s not the bike I remember thanks to the people’s republic of California. I did a search and the smog removal looks simple enough. I will fabricate my own covers, I have some limited skills. I know that re-jetting, air filter and pipe will make a huge difference. So here is my list, tell me what you think.
1. Remove smog crap
2. Dave's carb mods
3. Slip on exhaust looking for one that is black and looks stock but improve performance and sound better, any suggestions.
4. Fab up a rear rack I will post picks when done.
5. I have been reading that there are some steering issues on and off road at higher speeds. Can someone recommend a reasonable set up i.e. triple clamp, steering stabilizer, and fork brace? 90% off-road 10% on highway will have on highway trips over 250 miles at a time. I would like a safe setup at highway speeds (read 80 MPH) with no death wobble. But I do want to hit it hard in the OHV areas. I love to climb the hills.
6. Suspension, I weigh 200+lbs (read 278lbs) what recommendations do you have on suspension.
7. I will do a skid plate sooner than later any recommendations.
Well that should take me a couple of weeks and pay checks. Any help appreciated Thanks
Ron

• cleonard

Posted January 14, 2008 - 11:02 PM

Welcome to TT. There is a ton of info here. Do some searches and you will find a lot of good stuff.

Living in Cal City you have tons of riding right from your doorstep, but I think you already know that.

The 650L is an overweight pig. Every time I get on one I am amazed at the difference from my 600. Some have relocated the battery to the air box to help centralize the weight.

My take on your list.

Do 1, 2, and 3 at the same time so you only have to jet once.

Number 4 sounds cool.

As far as the fork brace goes, I understand that they do help. It really depends on how hard you ride the bike. I'm used to the flex on mine. I'd say ride it for a while and then decide. For a better setup several have done a USD swap.

You absolutely need stiffer springs.

Skid plates save your cases, but retain some heat. I have had heat issues so no skid plate for me and it shows if you look at the bottom of my engine.

• martinfan30

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Definately rejet , remove smog, and put an exhaust on at the same time. There will be less rejetting.

Suspension needs stiffer springs for your weight.

As CL said they are HEAVY. I relocated my battery to the airbox to move the weight forwad/center. No more airbox.

RE-gearing helps. Depending on what you will mostly do. I ride 60-40 Street-Dirt. With 15/48 gearing. Perfect for me.

The E2 series exhaust by WB is what i have, stock header(welds ground down).

Welcome to TT and congrats on your new PIG!

• walshdanielm1965

Posted January 15, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Welcome to TT, I am about a year into my BRP. I absolutely love it.
1-3 I didn't listen to Martin & Cleonard and jetted twice. Try and do all at once.
4 I am very interested in seeing what you make, shoot me PM when you get it done.
5a I ride 95% dirt 5% road, I am using RTT stabilizer & top triple clamp & fork brace. Bought the fork brace via Martinfans suggestion. It is great but made me realize that I needed to really get my suspension done.
5b You might want to look at to sets of tires/rims. One for street & one for dirt. You can get away with just changing the front sprocket depending on the type of ride. 14/48 dirt or 15/48 road it is quick and easy.
6 I just got this done & got it out this past weekend OMG! I had it set for my height & weight. 6'3" 285 plus.
7 Do it before you do your first major dirt ride.
Enjoy the hell out of the BRP!
Dan

• rontheman13

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Will I need to re-jet when I remove the smog? I was planning on re-jetting when I did the air filter and pipe. On the suspension do I need to re valve or just change the springs, and is this a do it yourself job for a guy with good mechanical skills or should it be done in a shop. Thanks Ron

• walshdanielm1965

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I didn't, it started awesome. I rejetted when I did Dave's Mods & once again when I put on the exhaust. I should have just waited to do Dave's Mod after I bought the pipe. I took my bike in to get the complete package, re valve & Re spring. If you are 278 you will need to re spring. When I did all my research, the general thought was that someone with good mechanical skill could perform the suspension job. You just need to be very clean and organized. That left me out.......lol

• desert4seat

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:32 PM

in order of importance:

1. get some real tires…90% offroad you say? Same here… Those stock tires will KILL you. I couldn’t believe how shi++y they are. Get a the most aggresive dirt tire you can find (Non DOT) the cops wont sweat ya.

2. open the motor up. Pipe, smog, jet filter, etc etc

3. BARS. You need real bars and raise them up as high as you can!!! What a difference!

4. Fork Brace does wonders. Great investment.

5. put her on a hellasious diet! Its for her own good! Trust me!

did i mention tires?

• martinfan30

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:12 PM

If you're a big guy, do the suspension first. The right springs for you're weight will make the biggest difference in your riding. Springs can be done by a halfway mechanicly inclined guy. Revalving, not so sure of.

No need to rejet after removing smog.

• rontheman13

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:06 PM

I hear you on the tires. Was looking at some Dunlop D606's 130/90-18 on the rear and a 90/90-21 on the front but I will look at some off-road only tires also. Reading through this forum I’ve seen post referring to steering stabilizers and how I will die without one on the road if I go over 60mph. What is you take on this? I’m looking at this http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm for fork brace and triple clamp and bar riser what do you think? So can I do just springs or will I need to re valve? I’m a member of several off road forums for my jeep and I have to say this is a great forum very responsive.
Thanks Ron

• rontheman13

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I am also interested in re gearing, will the 14/48, 15/48 combo require any chain adjustment or can I take out the slack adjusting the rear wheel? What are the stock gears? Thanks Ron

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Will I need to re-jet when I remove the smog? I was planning on re-jetting when I did the air filter and pipe. On the suspension do I need to re valve or just change the springs, and is this a do it yourself job for a guy with good mechanical skills or should it be done in a shop. Thanks Ron

The smog stuff basically does nothing to change engine operation. Therefor no jetting changes. It is just an air pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust and a charcoal cannister that blocks gasoline vapors from getting into the air.

If you remove the smog stuff, put it in a box and keep it. California has been trying to figure out how to smog bikes for more than 10 years. One day a program will start. It would suck to have to go out and buy new smog equipment in order to pass the smog check. It will not cost anything to keep it.

• rontheman13

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:22 PM

Good advice thanks.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I hear you on the tires. Was looking at some Dunlop D606's 130/90-18 on the rear and a 90/90-21 on the front but I will look at some off-road only tires also. Reading through this forum I’ve seen post referring to steering stabilizers and how I will die without one on the road if I go over 60mph. What is you take on this? I’m looking at this http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm for fork brace and triple clamp and bar riser what do you think? So can I do just springs or will I need to re valve? I’m a member of several off road forums for my jeep and I have to say this is a great forum very responsive.
Thanks Ron

I am currently running 606 on the front & 739at rear.

I am using the rswracing fork brace.

Spring & Re-valve in my opinion

• walshdanielm1965

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:22 PM

I am also interested in re gearing, will the 14/48, 15/48 combo require any chain adjustment or can I take out the slack adjusting the rear wheel? What are the stock gears? Thanks Ron

just slack, it is easy even for me......

• desert4seat

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:39 PM

California has been trying to figure out how to smog bikes for more than 10 years. One day a program will start. It would suck to have to go out and buy new smog equipment in order to pass the smog check. It will not cost anything to keep it.

Yikes!
I wonder how much friggen pollution a L actually makes – I mean gimme a break!
Next they’ll start smoging lawnmowers!
Watch those john deer mods guys!

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:44 AM

15/48 can be adjusted ok at the wheel. 15/45 is stock.

• martinfan30

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:46 AM

:banghead:

Yikes!
I wonder how much friggen pollution a L actually makes – I mean gimme a break!
Next they’ll start smoging lawnmowers!
Watch those john deer mods guys!

I dont think they do much pollution wise.

Lawnmowers are not that far away from some type of pollution control!:busted:

• radbrad48

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:17 PM

I have the Dunlop 606's. The rear is great, but I think next time I am going to try a different front. A lot of guys say the MT21 Perelli is a good front tire. I also saw a Kenda 776F enduro tire that was a DOT tire that looked good and they say is cheap. As for a steering stabilizer, I have no problem going over 60 on the hiway or off road. The bike is fairly stable. If you drop to a 14 in the front, you can adjust the slack out of the chain with the adjusters on the rear wheel.

• rontheman13

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I still have a lot of reserch to do, but your post are helping with the learning curve.

• evomx971

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:43 AM

XRL's are seriously addictive. Congrats on your new ride. I picked up my '94 because I got a good deal on it, not really sure why I wanted it at the time since I have a good street bike and good dirt bikes. Now it's the one bike I'd keep if I had to get rid of everything else. I commute to work with it, off road it, and used it to pre-run for the Baja 1000 this year.

If you're really serious about taking it off road and riding it hard, I've been super happy with the work Precision Concepts did on the suspension on mine. They revalved and put in heavier springs in the forks. The shock spring was fine for me (200 pounds with gear). Makes it a better bike on the street too.

I've run Dunlop 606's and thought they were good for a full knobby on the street. The rear works good on the dirt. I thought the front pushed a little more than I thought it should so I'm going to keep trying different fronts.

Pull the smog stuff off, put in a UNI air filter, a slip on silencer, and do Dave's mods. I went with an FMF Q and have been really happy with it. Not too loud.

Here's a link with all the stuff I did to mine. I feel like I ended up with a pretty well sorted bike. There was definitely some trial and error getting it there.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=582029

Here's a link with more detail on how I set up my triple clamps, bars, risers, and stabilizer. The stabilizer is great off road and on the street. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=544350

I've never tried a fork brace but there are a lot of believers out here.

evomx971

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.