Changed first flat, found problem.

13 replies to this topic
  • angrycookieman

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hey guys, I changed my first dirt bike flat on the front tire of my xr650r and to make a long story short, I found that one of the four bolts that hold the clamp over the axle is broken. Are those just studs that I can unscrew and replace, or what? Any suggestions are appreciated, I would really rather not have my front tire come off when it's not supposed to:crazy:! Thanks.

• tmartinLVNV

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:01 PM

Yes, they are studs that unthread out from the fork. I used some channel lock plyiers to grab ahold of the broken piece and twisted it out. It took some time, but it will come out.

Terry

• angrycookieman

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. I found them at servicehonda.com but shipping is like 9 bucks minimum. Do you know a better place to get them?

• knuklehead

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:33 PM

I found some a good auto part's (speed shop) they had a selection of metric and standerd stud's.They were just like the stocker's maybe a little bettter grade.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:48 PM

You'll want to get them in metric grade 10.9. That is roughly equivalent to SAE Grade 8.

• angrycookieman

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:55 PM

Ok, thanks for all your help guys. I'll try to find them at a parts house, if not I'll get the dealer to order them for me. Thanks again:ride:

• Maroast

Posted January 14, 2008 - 08:23 PM

if not I'll get the dealer to order them for me

Cant you just buy a long thread high grade bolt at a hardware store and cut the end off with a dremel to match the length of the post you pulled off the fork...then back the nut over the cut bolt to ensure clear threads....voila! you'll have the threaded post you need-->just an idea.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdubb75

Posted January 14, 2008 - 08:50 PM

If you can't find what you're looking for try McMaster Carr. You will find about all a man needs there...short of women and good bourbon. Ive turned to them many times when I'm on need of an oddity that I can't find locally. I usually get my stuff 3 days after I order with std shipping.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:28 AM

Since I haven't taken mine out yet, do you know if the threads are reversed on one side, in other words do you have to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise to take them out? I found both kinds of studs.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:11 AM

They are normal threads on both ends. I believe the end that threads into the fork is a wee bit longer if I remember right.

Also a neat trick to help remove the old stud is to grid the remaining end into a flat bar. This give loads more bite to vice grips or a good adjustable wrench.

• tjmiller

Posted January 15, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Before you put vise-grips on the broken stud, if there is enough thread, put 2 nuts on the threads and tighten the outer nut against the inner nut. You should be able to put a wrench on the inner nut and back the stud out. These 4 studs seems to get overtorqued a lot (I replaced all 4 when I snapped one off since it was a used bike and I didn't know what the guy before had done).

• angrycookieman

Posted January 15, 2008 - 03:43 PM

That's all good advice, thanks a lot! I was able to order them from a local dealer so I'm in good shape. You're probably right about over-tourquing, the manual only calls for like 9 ft-lbs of tourque on them. I just snugged up the three good ones and threadlocked them so I could test my tire here in the yard. I'll change the broken one when they come in and have a spare for just in case.

• grtmdt

Posted January 16, 2008 - 09:46 PM

I would apply some heat (not too much) to the fork tube where the threads are. I'm sure the use some Loc-tite stuff in the threads. The heat will soften up the goo and make it easier to come out.

• angrycookieman

Posted January 17, 2008 - 05:26 AM

Ok, will do. Thanks

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.