Easiest way to adjust rear shock preload

4 replies to this topic
  • billyj7175

Posted October 14, 2002 - 10:34 PM

I was wondering if anybody would have some helpful hints on adjusting the preload on the rear shock spring. In order to have access to the top spanner nut, the book shows to remove the rear subframe, but that seems a little excessive. In order to properly set the rear sag, I would have to remove the subframe, adjust the spring, install it back on to get another reading, then repeat as necessary.
Even though I know this is probably tabboo, it looks as though I could use the old "hammer and punch" method, from the right side, under the air intake boot without removing anything, although it will be a little tough on the spanner nut ears.

• Dutch

Posted October 15, 2002 - 03:00 AM

Thats the way I set it Billy - hammer and long screw driver,(it's a race bike, beat on it!). Sometimes the lock nut can be backed off and the spring turned to rotate the adjusting nut. By the way, did you solve the stalling problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wattner

Posted October 15, 2002 - 03:12 AM

The old hammer and punch method works great, as you mentioned...a little rough on the nuts(doh). It is a lot easier to loosen the top one first, then take the load off of the rear, many times you can just turn the spring and tighten away. The easiest way to unload rear is to tilt the bike forward using the kickstand as a fulcrum, or put on a stand.

• billyj7175

Posted October 17, 2002 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the advice. As far as my stalling problem goes, I checked the valve clearance, and it was spot on. I pulled my plug and it was very, very black, so I cleaned it up the best I could and ordered some online. I havent' had the chance to actually take it back out yet to see if I can get it to stall again, but I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens.

• billyj7175

Posted October 19, 2002 - 09:03 PM

I guess the dirty plugged was causing the stalling problem. I cleaned the plug up, and took the bike out yesterday, and she ran like a champ. I'm going to pull the plug again tonight, just to check the color again. I should be getting my E-Series any day now...(again...), so hopefully if I'm a little rich now, I should be pretty close with the pipe.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.