drz400 to a xr650 ?'s (Supermoto)

4 replies to this topic
  • kptkyle

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:10 PM

I bought a drz 2 years ago and love it. It was great for both worlds, i fitted GS500 wheels to it and started racing SM last year, and of course commmuted/ trail road with pirelli's. Now though, i am comptemplating selling it and buying a XR650L/R i want to be able to ride it on the road with more confidence (HP). What are the differences between the L/R and is the R plate-able (i live in N.Y. so its a little hard). Hopefully in the future i can buy a mx and convert it to supermoto too, and actually be somewhat competetive. I will have alot more questions, but this looks like a good start. The 55hp Sounds like a lot of fun with Supermoto wheels on the street!

• Frank ZX

Posted January 14, 2008 - 05:06 PM

I just sold a '02 XR650L and got a XR650R.The L is a great bike,but the R is more powerful,and a little lighter.The R feels totally different that the L.Both bikes would make great street tards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atank

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hello kptkyle, what mods did you have to do for those wheels to fit your DRZS? I have been reading about converting my DRZS to Sm, I have the inverted forks, clamp, front brake setup, now I need wheels.

Thanks
Anthony

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:40 PM

I bought a drz 2 years ago and love it. It was great for both worlds, i fitted GS500 wheels to it and started racing SM last year, and of course commmuted/ trail road with pirelli's. Now though, i am comptemplating selling it and buying a XR650L/R i want to be able to ride it on the road with more confidence (HP). What are the differences between the L/R and is the R plate-able (i live in N.Y. so its a little hard). Hopefully in the future i can buy a mx and convert it to supermoto too, and actually be somewhat competetive. I will have alot more questions, but this looks like a good start. The 55hp Sounds like a lot of fun with Supermoto wheels on the street!

I have owned a DRZ400S (fully uncorked), a XR650L (stock), XR600L, a XR650R (uncorked and plated) and other unreleated bikes. I currently have purchased another XRR after selling the DRZ, in search of a better dual sport. It has taken about 1000 bucks in buying parts off of ebay to get what I want out of it: a torque-monster dual sport that can really tear up the dirt, with some finnese applied.

EDIT:

Supermoto! I should read more of the post before spouting off. I'd stick with the DRZ, unless you are heavy (like me). Talk to 'burned' in the DRZ forum about getting more power.....

IMHO:

The DRZ is the mosts "civilized" by far: smooth, revs clean, balanced feel on dirt and road, turns amazing on the pavement. It also has no low-end torque, has terrible dirt manners on rough high-speed terrain, and never seems to get any "real" traction on hills. Tried all the mods. Sold it.

The XRL feels ancient and old-fashioned compared to the DRZ and the XRR. It has a very top-heavy feel, pegs are up high, bars down low and forward, very very, quirky running carb, and it runs really hot all the time. Better in the high speed rough terrain. Many mods can be done to the carb for better running, but it never gets to the point where you feel really confident on difficult/sketchy single track. Sold it.

The XRR is heavy, but very agile. It feels 80 lbs lighter than the XRL. Having said that, it is not as civilized as the DRZ, but in every other way it is superior. Bone stock it has carb issues (what doesn't), but for about 150 bucks you can make the bike a really fun monster. For about 800 bucks more (carb and pipe) it is a REAL monster! I mean in a good way. Sold it 7 years ago. Just bought another one.

Lots of street and some dirt with no real hills or sand: DRZ
Lots of street and some dirt: XRL
Lots of dirt and street: XRR plated

Good luck

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:21 PM

Get the XRR!!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.