Cr Vs Kx Vs Yz

9 replies to this topic
  • Scspringer912

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:00 PM

okay guys just sold my 07 crf 450. Thinking about getting a bike and all i keep reading about is how great the honda is for 08. Don't really want to get another red bike because that is the only 4 stroke bikes i have had since 02. I really feel its time for a change for 2008. I am torn between the kaw and yz.

I hear the yz is great except the motor is weak down low. Then i hear the kaw is good bike but is not reliable. live in central Florida. Need some help on what is good. 26 year old 6. 1 190lbs c or b rider.. depends on the weather....

thanks guys

• Wiz636

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:11 PM

The obvious answer is to ride both and see which feels best but I guess that is not alwasy an option.

As far as the YZ being 'soft' down low goes...I always hear stuff like that but I think it is deceptive because the YZ delivers power so smoothly that it seems soft even though it isn't. Whenever I have seen dyno charts posted comparing the 450's the YZ is right there with the other bikes.

All that aside, the reliability of the YZ400/426/450 borders on legendary and that is huge IMO.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:31 PM

its a toss up flip a coin or better yet ride them both then decide. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:37 PM

According to several '08 YZF owners, almost any aftermarket exhaust completely fixes the low end power problem, so for $4-500 you could re-order the comparison quite remarkably. TWMX called teh '08 YZ450 the best handling bike in their test (the RMZ never showed up), and the YZ450 is not very disputably the most reliable of the bunch.

But you were looking for unbiased opinions, weren't you? What made you look here? :banghead:

• erickdj

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:38 PM

I can personally recommend the 08 yz450f. It's not weak by any means, just has a smooth power delivery. The handling on it is awesome, it cuts through corners with unreal ease. Also, as someone mentioned, their reliability is outstanding. If you want a more explosive bottom end then just spend a a couple hundred on a slip-on muffler and it will rip..... You could also use a full 2006 stock exhaust, it works VERY well on the 08, they can be had for real cheap on ebay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scspringer912

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:49 PM

well guys i have rode both i didn't mention it because i was curious as to what you guys would say. I really like the yz as that was the best 2 stroke i had when i was really racing. My days of racing are over and changing oil and air filters is all i do. Lucky for me i have been able to buy and sell bikes yearly to hopefully avoid costly expenses. I guess i just want a change. I know honda is and will probably always be the best but since 02 i have had one. I just want a change.. They both feel good to me. Kaw's looks super trick and i like having a good looking bike.. yz is a great bike... just needed more low end. i guess i will just wake up one day and see what i can get the best deal on.

Anyway hear of any horer stories about kaw's

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:56 PM

I know honda is and will probably always be the best ...

The best what? According to who? Are you trolling now? Inquiring minds, and all that, you know....

• SupermanKLX125L

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:59 PM

I heard the Kaw is actually pretty reliable:excuseme:

• nap__kxf

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:38 PM

The best what? According to who? Are you trolling now? Inquiring minds, and all that, you know....

they're the best at draining wallets when you need new valves every season :banghead:

what else?

• todds924

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:02 PM

well guys i have rode both i didn't mention it because i was curious as to what you guys would say. I really like the yz as that was the best 2 stroke i had when i was really racing. My days of racing are over and changing oil and air filters is all i do. Lucky for me i have been able to buy and sell bikes yearly to hopefully avoid costly expenses. I guess i just want a change. I know honda is and will probably always be the best but since 02 i have had one. I just want a change.. They both feel good to me. Kaw's looks super trick and i like having a good looking bike.. yz is a great bike... just needed more low end. i guess i will just wake up one day and see what i can get the best deal on.

Anyway hear of any horer stories about kaw's

We had a new 08 450 KXF in the shop last week with a problem. The bike had about 30 minutes on it and the crank went out. Upon disassembly we found that the oil jet was completely clogged up with gasket sealer from when the cases were assembled. Kawi did cover it though. All the horror stories around here are with the CRF's.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.