XR600R plug lasts 12 years.

11 replies to this topic
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:56 PM

So the build date on my 1996 XR600R is Feburary of 1996. Yesterday I changed the plug because it was getting a little harder to start on very cold days. I ask the original owner if he had tried a one step cooler NGK because that is all Pep Boys had and they only get 1.59 for a plug opposed to the dealer wanting $4.50 for the EXACT same plug! Anyway he says not only did I never try a one step cooler, that plug in it came with it from the factory. So this NGK DPR7EA-9 is 12 years old and still works to a degree!

I changed it anyway and am going to frame that little bugger!

Shoot, I'd be lucky to get a week out of plugs on my RD400s!

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:58 PM

How much bigger did the gap get, due to wear?

• DGXR

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:04 PM

That is really amazing! Your bike must be jetted perfectly and burn little to no oil. The plug in my XR500R is the same one since I bought it in 2003. Who knows how long it was in there before I bought it. Still runs great but I always carry a spare just in case.

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:09 PM

That is really amazing! Your bike must be jetted perfectly and burn little to no oil. The plug in my XR500R is the same one since I bought it in 2003. Who knows how long it was in there before I bought it. Still runs great but I always carry a spare just in case.

I'm with ya! Just a habbit thats hard to break, left over from my IT400 days!:banghead:

• cleonard

Posted January 14, 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that they came with the DPR8EA-9 from Honda so someone must have changed it once.

I have never changed a plug on any of my XR's because it didn't work. I only changed them when I had the engine apart for some other reason.

• DGXR

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Some of the standard plug sockets are too thick-walled to get into that little space to get the plug out - the OEM plug socket that comes in the fanny pack kit works wonders but can be hard to find.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:59 PM

My irridium has been going 6 years in my 650R never missed a beat, my Blackbird has 40K Miles still runs as new with original plugs, I just traded my 03 Eclipse for a new 07, it had the original plugs 87K miles and still ran like new, use good oil and good fuel and if it's designed right it shouldn't need a bunch of parts to keep it running, if it does get rid of it.

• martinfan30

Posted January 15, 2008 - 01:56 PM

The problem with that is that a plug deteriorates slowly. So you dont notice the very gradual decrease in performance over time. UNTIL, you put a new one in. JMHO.

Not only that, but as a plugs gap increases over time due to wear, it can put excess stress on an ignition system(coil especially). It gets harder and harder to jump that gap.

I have seen coils fail on vehicles that I service from this.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Ill take some pics and post them but it is a stock plug, and it isn't any difdferent looking than a new one save for the fact is it is rreally dirty, like a 12 year old plug on a well taken care of motorcycle should look!

• weskc35k

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:14 PM

Yeah i did 2 T/E rebuilds on my CR500(3 yrs) untill i remembered that the plug was getting on a bit.
I rode this bike 3 or 4 times a week.
Actually not that it needed the rebuilds i just though it was time.

• cleonard

Posted January 17, 2008 - 04:59 PM

The problem with that is that a plug deteriorates slowly. So you dont notice the very gradual decrease in performance over time. UNTIL, you put a new one in. JMHO.

Not only that, but as a plugs gap increases over time due to wear, it can put excess stress on an ignition system(coil especially). It gets harder and harder to jump that gap.

I have seen coils fail on vehicles that I service from this.

I agree 100%. What I have found on my XR is that the rate of plug erosion is very small. I believe that it has to do with how the bike is operated. I do a lot of trail riding. There isn't a lot of wide open throttle on the singletrack. Mellow operating like that doesn't burn the plug.

I also have an old Honda CM400 that I ride to work and some road rides. It spends a lot of time wide open. It uses almost the same plug, D8EA, as the XR600 and XR650L. About a month ago I noticed that it wasn't idling running right. I took out the plug and the gap was about twice what it was supposed to be. It was all from electrode erosion. That plug had 7000 hard miles on it and it was done.

• weskc35k

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:13 PM

Well it allways seems to help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.