650R flood during hard braking

4 replies to this topic
  • rhythmofbeing

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:39 AM

During hard braking (especially stoppies) my 650 will go really rich and often stall out. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if it's a jetting problem, a fuel delivery problem, or just the way the bike works. I have a Clarke desert tank on it, if that makes a difference.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:08 AM

ive had the same problem:excuseme:

you explained it a lot better than i could have, ive had the bike stall at stop signs, cause i pulled a stoppie into it, i had the clutch pulled in so there should have been no problem. Not only that but when i just normaly brake and downshift to come to a stop the bike idles really low and sounds like its gona die. I did a airbox mod and havent re-jetted yet so that might be part of my problem. Being new to working on bikes the fricken Carb is 1 hard thing to dial in wonce you **** with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maroast

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:09 AM

During hard braking (especially stoppies) my 650 will go really rich and often stall out. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if it's a jetting problem, a fuel delivery problem, or just the way the bike works. I have a Clarke desert tank on it, if that makes a difference.

check your float height. if the float (in the carb) is too high, when you break hard the front dives, gas in the float bowl shifts and can push the float up and cut off fuel supply. I use to have the same thing happen during hard breaking or riding down steep hills.

you can take the float bowl off and bend the "tangs" on the float so that it sits lower. Kinda hard for me to explain....but does that make any sense?

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:09 PM

it sounds like the float plunger is opening when weight shifts forward. thats why bikes will flood if plunger seals is bad and its parked on a hill. check plunger floats, check seals and look at plunger look for scratches and irregularities. i wouldn't recommend bending the "tangs" too much. they are a little tempermental

• rhythmofbeing

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions--now I've got an idea of where to look next.

I did tighten the fuel/air screw (or pilot adjustment, or whatever) last night, which leaned out the idle. Now it doesn't stall, but it's too lean.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.