Removing the airbox lid????

3 replies to this topic
  • fourstroker

Posted October 14, 2002 - 05:07 PM

Just wondering if removing the airbox lid on my 2001 WR426 will cause any problems (having to change jetting, etc.)? I live in the midwest (ILLINOIS) and have already uncorked her, grey wire removed and throttle stop shaved down. Can I expect better performance from her if I pull the airbox lid?

Thanks in advance THUMPS!

Mark (Highland, Illinois)

• ASternad

Posted October 14, 2002 - 05:11 PM

If you pull the entire lid you will notice a little pickup. I pulled only the snorkle and it's not much different but helps save on cleaning the filter. With the entire lid off things get dirty faster.

Hope that helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dean400

Posted October 14, 2002 - 05:33 PM

I did not change anything when I took off the air box lid, and it seemed to run fine. It definately had more power.
But, I am not saying that you shouln't re-jet.

• Dodger

Posted October 15, 2002 - 04:41 AM

The air box lid is doing nothing but choking your bike.....get rid of it, you gota let your bike breath.

And yes, you may need to re-jet, but probably nothing more than fattening it up a little (maybe down one clip on needle, up one step on main).

Dodger :D :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.