need help w carburator needle shim for 05 xr650l

11 replies to this topic
  • richar_92692

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:29 PM

i followed up dave's mods for my carb. for the needle they recomend shim (spacer) 0.03'' thick. I pull out my needle from stock carb and it already has spacer on. I'm not sure what is the thickness and also it doesnt mention that carb needle has any spacer originaly instaled. how do I deal with it?
and if I need some, where to get it? live in southern california
will be thanksful for any advise

• DBM

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Go to Radio Shack and get their "small washer kit". Use the smallest washer in the kit that will fit over the needle.

DBM

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 14, 2008 - 08:49 AM

If it already has a shim, someone has maybe already done the rest of the mods?

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:11 AM

slide drilled?

• richar_92692

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:30 PM

yes. I performed the steps as on the web page, only the problem I wasn't sure about is the needle shim. I pull out the needle and it had spacer on (dont know how thick is it). This bike came w no mods - I bought it with 120 miles from the guy who didn't even now how to adjust his chain. I would doubt that he chimed carb needle. specially after 2 rides with 120 miles and 2 accidents.
should I just place new shim on the top of existing or what do I do?

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:44 PM

Check this link. It has all the info you'll need...

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

You may need to get an inexpensive Micrometer to measure the shim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 14, 2008 - 02:20 PM

I would leave as is if it feels good, replace with a known .030-inch shim if it doesn't feel quite right.

Dave

• TexasXR650L

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:13 PM

I think mine had a shim in it when I did the dynajet. I kept it

• richar_92692

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:01 PM

what do you run for pilot jet w 165?
today I did ad one shim .02 on the top of original one and I had to remove it - didn't run the best in the first 1/4

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:38 AM

yes. I performed the steps as on the web page, only the problem I wasn't sure about is the needle shim. I pull out the needle and it had spacer on (dont know how thick is it). This bike came w no mods - I bought it with 120 miles from the guy who didn't even now how to adjust his chain. I would doubt that he chimed carb needle. specially after 2 rides with 120 miles and 2 accidents.
should I just place new shim on the top of existing or what do I do?

it may be a nylon spacer from the factory. Install another small washer about the same thickness and youll be good. Use both of them....needle position isn't anything but a transition from pilot to main so it isn't that critical in most instances unless the motor is highly prepped for racing.

• martinfan30

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:39 AM

I think mine had a shim in it when I did the dynajet. I kept it

That actually defeats the purpose of the djet needle with 5 clip positions.

The shim used in daves mods is used due to the fact the stock needle doesnt have clip positions to change.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 01:58 PM

That actually defeats the purpose of the djet needle with 5 clip positions.

The shim used in daves mods is used due to the fact the stock needle doesnt have clip positions to change.

Correctumundo! AND, The dynajet needle has 5 or 6 clip positions...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.