Heavy guy. 250 or 450?

26 replies to this topic
  • ccoates445

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:39 PM

My 2 cents is to buy the 450. I am 6'3" and 280 and I got a 07 on sale 2 months ago. I put a toggle switch on my grey wire to be able to calm it down on super tight single trails, and did all the free mods and the quiet end cap on exhaust. I am glad I rode it awhile before doing the mods, could have hurt myself until I got used to it. Also, we probably all need to redo the springs for our weight, unless you weigh nothing, or like it soft.

Thank you for finally mentioning suspension. But so far I have everyone beat! 6'2" 285 lbs of man-beast. Without a doubt, go fo-fiddy. Unless of course you have a 150 lb nephew you want to give your 6 month old 250 to. Just be careful for the first bit until you think your ready for all the glory that is the WR450! The best money spent on mods will be the springs and re-valving and a Scotts stabilizer.

Cheers!

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:23 PM

thanks guys. I'm getting the WR450. I'll leave it corked and half throttle until I'm ready.....

:banghead: I've decided this comes down to "what I want" more then what might be more practical.

• Edleftat80

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:48 PM

I agree with the folks reccomending the 450. However, I would also tell you to consider not making the changes to it untill you have good experiance on it. If you leave the bike corked up it will be fun but still forgiving. I also took a 20 year break from riding. If I would have started back into it with a wide open 450, I would have probably been one of those guys selling a slightly used bike. No matter what you get, Have fun and be safe!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 16, 2008 - 06:00 AM

I agree with the folks reccomending the 450. However, I would also tell you to consider not making the changes to it untill you have good experiance on it. If you leave the bike corked up it will be fun but still forgiving. I also took a 20 year break from riding. If I would have started back into it with a wide open 450, I would have probably been one of those guys selling a slightly used bike. No matter what you get, Have fun and be safe!

Yep.. lots of good deals under the "injury forces sale" section of the classifieds.

That's how I got my bike a couple of years ago.

• dl19

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:55 PM

450 no question.

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 17, 2008 - 12:51 AM

:p I picked up 2 brand new WR450s tonight. one for me, one for my bud. :busted:

the sales guy: :prof: warned me that the WR450 is a total dog until you un cork it. :applause:

anyway.
the WR450 was 100% the right choice. in its stock tune, it has all the low end torq of the CRF450 I rode in november. which is exactly what I wanted. in its stock tune, I was able to pin the throttle just doing loops in the back yard. there is very little twist to the throttle before it hits the stop, kinda hard to get into trouble. a very easy bike to ride. :cool: this thing is going to be fun fun fun!!!!!! I'll do the free mods in a few weeks. :crazy:

• Edleftat80

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:10 AM

Just wait till you let it breath, that bike will pop your arms out of socket. Congrats.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.