Heavy guy. 250 or 450?

26 replies to this topic
  • Demo_Slug

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:45 PM

I'm I too heavy for a WR250F? or Should I get the WR450?

I'm 36(age), 6 foot tall and 240lbs without gear. I'm fit but have a beer gut :banghead: I'd consider myself a novice....
I grew up with dirt bikes but haven't owned one since 1990( My last one was a 81 Yamaha IT 175)
I ride mountain bikes a lot. and really dig black diamond trails.
I would assume that at some point I could ride black diamonds on the dirt bike too.

I took a honda 2004 CBF450R MX bike for a trail ride at the local OHV park. It was my first time on a bike since 1990. and kept to red or blue trails, I was too chicken for the black diamonds :busted:.
The CBF450R seemed to have OK amount of low end torque. I think I pinned the throttle once all day, and I don't think I'm really aggressive enough to use the horse power.

I'm really attracted to the Suzuki DRZ400 for the milder motor. but I would like to have the lighter weight and better suspension of one of the WR450, but I think its just too much motor for me(if its anything like that Honda ). So maybe a WR250F would be OK?

• Richie B

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm 36(age), 6 foot tall and 240lbs without gear. I'm fit but have a beer gut :banghead: I'd consider myself a novice....
I grew up with dirt bikes but haven't owned one since 1990( My last one was a 81 Yamaha IT 175)
I would assume that at some point I could ride black diamonds on the dirt bike too.

I took a honda 2004 CBF450R MX bike for a trail ride at the local OHV park. It was my first time on a bike since 1990. and kept to red or blue trails, I was too chicken for the black diamonds :busted:.
The CBF450R seemed to have OK amount of low end torque. I think I pinned the throttle once all day, and I don't think I'm really aggressive enough to use the horse power.

I'm really attracted to the Suzuki DRZ400 for the milder motor. but I would like to have the lighter weight and better suspension of one of the WR450, but I think its just too much motor for me(if its anything like that Honda ). So maybe a WR250F would be OK?

Well enduro versions are usually tuned down from there MX cousins, not to mention that the CRF450R is usually the most powerful 450cc stock. I would say a 250f would be enough, but if you think you can handle it, get the 450. Try and ride one or the other.

• MaxPower

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:58 PM

[COLOR="Green"]240?
Get a 450
[/COLOR]

• SouthernXer

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:06 PM

[COLOR="Green"]240?
Get a 450
[/COLOR]

+1... I am 5'10" and around 235lbs of pure sexiness and I love my 450. :banghead:

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:09 PM

+1... I am 5'10" and around 235lbs of pure sexiness and I love my 450. :ride:

:busted: pure sexiness. :banghead: me too.

• tadams

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:25 PM

I'm in a simular situation as you are. I weigh about 210 with gear and can't make up my mind on which to get. I rode a frinds WR250F last weekend at a local OHV park while h rode his KX250F. I loved the WR. He has already uncorked it by doing all the free mods and installed a GYTR silencer. I was on it before he did all of this and it made a huge difference. I talked to lots of guys on WR & YZF 450's and they all said that the power is unreal and you can't really use all of the power. I kept the 250 pinned all day and had a blast! Everyone says that you get used to the power of the 450 and that you will be wanting more power out of the 250. I can see where the 450 would be great for coming out of a turn and having 20-30 feet before you take a double or tabletop- just burp it and you are over it. But the rest of the time I think I would be on the brakes or worried that it was gonna wheelie too much or the back was gonna slid out from too much gas. I know what you are gonna say " Learn more throttle control!" I ride pretty good right now on the 250 and I am having a blast. What is a guy todo?

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I'm in a simular situation as you are. I weigh about 210 with gear and can't make up my mind on which to get. I rode a frinds WR250F last weekend at a local OHV park while h rode his KX250F. I loved the WR. He has already uncorked it by doing all the free mods and installed a GYTR silencer. I was on it before he did all of this and it made a huge difference. I talked to lots of guys on WR & YZF 450's and they all said that the power is unreal and you can't really use all of the power. I kept the 250 pinned all day and had a blast! Everyone says that you get used to the power of the 450 and that you will be wanting more power out of the 250. I can see where the 450 would be great for coming out of a turn and having 20-30 feet before you take a double or tabletop- just burp it and you are over it. But the rest of the time I think I would be on the brakes or worried that it was gonna wheelie too much or the back was gonna slid out from too much gas. I know what you are gonna say " Learn more throttle control!" I ride pretty good right now on the 250 and I am having a blast. What is a guy todo?

tadams,

would you have been satisfied with the 250 if it was left stock??

• tadams

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:53 PM

tadams,

would you have been satisfied with the 250 if it was left stock??

No, I don't think that I would be happy with the stock WR250. I helped my buddy do all the free mods and the other stuff wasn't very expensive. We did the AIS kit, throttle stop,GYTR pipe and rejetted the carb. The pipe was the most expensive but we had already modified the stock pipe before the new one came in- took the spark arrestor out and took the restrictor off of the end cap. Not a lot of work- except gettin the carb off- what a pain in the butt! It is an 08 250 and his KXF250 is an 07. The Kawi may be little more explosive but we were neck and neck all day!

The thing we keep discussing is that neither one of us are using the full potential of the 250 and probably never will. Now don't get me wrong, I don't keep anything stock and love more power in anything that I have. I have ridden 250 smokers and they were scary fast- I was not having fun-always on the brakes and if I barely blip the throttle it was out from under me- not fun at all. I would imagine that a 450 would be the same if not worse. Right?

• kxjason250

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:55 PM

GET A 450 no question, shop used youll get one cheap this time of year.

• tweav

Posted January 14, 2008 - 05:57 AM

I get a 450 I'm 5 9 and weigh 210 . there is no way I would be happy with a 250 unless it was a smoker then maybe . I've learned over the years that I don't get hurt as much on bigger bikes . little bikes I get bored with then go into stupid mode, not to mention if the 450 is too much for you can cork it up until you can handle the bike better

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:27 AM

in the end, you're going to buy a 450 - so you should just save yourself the trouble and get the bigger bike. you'll get used to it. :banghead:

• Bullwinkle

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Yes and yes.
I'm about your size and had been out of the dirt for over twenty years when I decided to get back in a couple of years ago. I had ridden nothing but 250 two strokes back in the day. I think a 250 four stroke would seem okay at first, but six months down the road you'd be wishing for the bigger bike.
Just my two cents worth.
:banghead:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:36 PM

I would try to get a sample ride on a 250f and see how you like it. If that bike feels good and you can handle it, then get one. Don't think that you have to have a 450 if you weigh over 200lbs or some other crazy formula like that. Your skill level, type of riding, your bike and the places you ride will determine what's a good combination.

Generally speaking, 250's are a place to start and you grow into a 450. Move up too fast, and you end up in a cast or on some crutches.

I love my wr450 and do lots of desert races (60-80+ miles). The best time that I've had on a dirtbike was when I borrowed a KDX220 and kept it pinned for about 40 miles. It was just fun to ride like that.

try a few more bikes and then figure out what to get. There are pro's and cons to all of them. no bike is perfect.

• AnimalDan

Posted January 14, 2008 - 02:05 PM

I'm 240 lbs and an intermediate rider. I enjoy riding our 250s in the woods were we never get out of third gear. For the more open terrain and hills, the 250 is adequate but I prefer my WR450.

• MaxPower

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:23 PM

Well enduro versions are usually tuned down from there MX cousins, not to mention that the CRF450R is usually the most powerful 450cc stock. I would say a 250f would be enough, but if you think you can handle it, get the 450. Try and ride one or the other.

[COLOR="Green"]Do you have a WR 450?[/COLOR]

• Dube2

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:40 PM

I'm 240+ And Love My Fo-five-oh

You Can't Go Wrong On The 450. The 250 Will Get You Wherever You Need To Go But The 450 Will Get You There With Less Strain On The Bike. Less Strian On The Bike Means Less Strian On The Rider. My $.02

• texas_hippie

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:59 PM

Ok Bro, I'm a 53 year old fat guy. I'm 6 foot, and 265 pounds. I'm career military, so I consider myself in good shape for a big feller. Here's the deal. I rode the wr250, plenty of power, plenty of torque. No problem pulling my weight around the single trail woods riding. I ended up buying the 450 though, before I'd ever actually ridden one. Somehow, I'd convinced myself I just needed all that extra power. Well, I'd have been perfectly happy with the 250. That being said though, I'm used to the 450 (uncorked with the AIS removal kit, and just the free mods) It'll rip your arms out of the socket, but that's a good thing if you get squirrely. Just roll in more throttle, and it'll save your butt, especially when dealing with loose sand, or those damn deep tire ruts the four wheeler drivers always seem to leave. First, second, and third gear wheelies...no problem, and even fourth if you bounce on the pegs and transfer the weight as you pin it. If you're hard core, and just have the same "more is always better" mentality, like myself, get the 450. It's a weak sister until you get rid of that tree hugger California green sticker stuff. Ride it all corked up until you get used to it. Then do the mods. You're definately not too big for the two fiddy though! Basically, your money, your choice...
Enjoy, and let us all know how things turn out.

• ntd21

Posted January 14, 2008 - 05:15 PM

I think a 250 four stroke would seem okay at first, but six months down the road you'd be wishing for the bigger bike.
:banghead:

i am in that very boat right now. i am 6'4" and 220 before gear. after i pay off my yz250f, i'm going to give it to the g/f and i'm getting a 450

• brad the best

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:17 PM

jeeez im pushing 160 lbs and i own a wr450F with all the free mods done to it .

the first ride was scary , but i loved it . got fairly used to it in a day or two , just took a lot of figure 8's and whoops .

just because you can pin it doesn't mean you have to , its not a two-stroke . its perfectly fine to leave it at low rpm's

• mongoford

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:39 PM

My 2 cents is to buy the 450. I am 6'3" and 280 and I got a 07 on sale 2 months ago. I put a toggle switch on my grey wire to be able to calm it down on super tight single trails, and did all the free mods and the quiet end cap on exhaust. I am glad I rode it awhile before doing the mods, could have hurt myself until I got used to it. Also, we probably all need to redo the springs for our weight, unless you weigh nothing, or like it soft.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.