06 engine failure repair

13 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted January 13, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Had the motor go on my 06 WR450. Tore it apart and this is what I found. The head and valves are fine. The rod bearing is shot, the piston is scarred/shot, The crank moved over enough to grind the bearing retainers and bolts off. the cylider looks good except for 1 little spot where the plating got worn through. Can the cylinder be fixed, is it worth it? I looked for the crank/rod assembly in the TT store, but only found listings up to 05, where can I get it?
I will post the pics when I get them loaded in the puter.

Thanks

John in Vegas

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 13, 2008 - 04:52 PM

how many miles on that bad boy?

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Dont know, but I went through a lot of tires.
The problem was overheating and low oil. Dont know where the oil went, but I found the water leake, a little too late.

John in Vegas

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Dont know, but I went through a lot of tires.
The problem was overheating and low oil. Dont know where the oil went, but I found the water leake, a little too late.

John in Vegas

thats a bummer...you thinking Big Bore?

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Here is the case minus the bearing retainers

Posted Image

the retainers at the bottom of the case

Posted Image

I thought I had the pics of the piston and cylinder, I guess I will get them tomarrow.

John

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:59 PM

thats a bummer...you thinking Big Bore?

Thought about it, but I still need to figure out the cost of either stock or BB and count my pennies

John

• dazzabb

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:18 PM

Johnny,

I had the same thing happen on my '05 Wr450, which according to posts on TT is identical (engine wise) to the 06. So the '05 in the TT store should be OK.

Bought mine secondhand and it turns out it was owned by a less than careful previous owner who allowed the oil level to get to low.

The rod bearing was shagged and had so much up/down movement.

This resulted in a damaged piston / rings and cylinder.

I looked into the cost of Nikasil replating but the cost was not that much less than a new cylinder from Yamaha, so I bought a new cylinder.

Good news is after the rebuild and 7000km she's running sweet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:40 PM

Call the TT store or e-mail them...while they don't list the parts you are looking for, they CAN get them...that Harry is a resourceful guy. As far as pricing, if you can find the part number at the Yamaha Fiche site, you can enter it in the search box on TT OEM and get a price as well.

When I rebuilt my 426, the cylinder was tapered a bit too much. I looked into the cost of sending it off to be stripped and replated. By the time I paid for that along with a piston kit (or a new OEM cylinder and piston) and a new piston and rings, I would have been within about 25-30 bucks of the cost of a Luke's Racing 444 kit. I would expect the same holds true for 450s...

• ETP

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Don't know about the exact parts you need, but these guys had great pricing a while back. Use the search engine here for OEM parts to find more sources.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

• Wiz636

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:59 AM

For your cylinder you can send it out to be replated by Millenium Technologies, I have used them in the past and they do great work. However, through the TT OEM store you can buy a brand new cylinder for just slightly more after you figure in the shipping expense back and forth to Millenium.

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 16, 2008 - 05:45 PM

thanks for the help and info. The cost is slowing the rebuild a little so I probably wont have anything to report for a while. I have to use the $$ to keep the bikes that are still or almost running alive. Just picked up a "classic" CR500 that hopefully only needs the piston and rings done (they will be here Fri.) and my RM250 could use some new rings.

John

• torquemonster167

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Although the cost of a new cylinder is similar to replating, remember that millenium technologies plating will be somewhat superior to that of oem yamaha. In my experience, the plating is harder and tends to resist damage more than that of the oem plating. just my 2 cents.
-Alex Galeczka
Service manager/Sr. Engine builder
CSA Performance
Almont, MI
(586)939-RIDE

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:49 PM

Thats good to know and I will keep that in mind

• dirtysouth

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Had the motor go on my 06 WR450. Tore it apart and this is what I found. The head and valves are fine. The rod bearing is shot, the piston is scarred/shot, The crank moved over enough to grind the bearing retainers and bolts off. the cylider looks good except for 1 little spot where the plating got worn through. Can the cylinder be fixed, is it worth it? I looked for the crank/rod assembly in the TT store, but only found listings up to 05, where can I get it?
I will post the pics when I get them loaded in the puter.

Thanks

John in Vegas

If you are still checking on this thread you should just drop the money while you have it broken open and go 490 http://www.maxpower-...yz-wr488ice.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.