YZ450F Chain/Tire

8 replies to this topic
  • fuzzys123

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:45 AM

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:49 AM

I adjusted the slack in my chain, put the bike on my stand and put it in first gear. The rotation of the chain is not fluid, it seems to randomly "jerk". The best i can tell the back tire is in line. Is this right? To me is operates like the back tire is out of line putting tension on the chain. Any advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, It may be time for a new chain.

• fuzzys123

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:54 AM

Just the chain, what about sproket(s)?

• Beanb1

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:58 AM

The jerky movement may not be as random as you think. It is usually caused by a slight bend in the chain, or a bent sprocket tooth. You should be able to isolate the movement and identify if it is the chain or sprocket by marking the chain and sprocket each time you observe the jerk. Similar location on the chain would suggest chain, or similar location on the sprocket would suggest the sprocket needs to be replaced.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted January 13, 2008 - 09:56 AM

take the chain off and if it kinks or has tight links it's time to change. if it's the stock chain, throw it out and get a new one.

also when motor is running and in gear it is common for the bike to jerk, there is no resistance

• todds924

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:43 PM

How in the world are you checking your chain tension with the bike running/ in gear/ on the stand????????????? Am i missing something? Put that thing on the stand and adjust your chain so you can slip 2 fingers under it at the point of the rear of the upper chain guide on the swingarm......

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:53 PM

I was wondering about this a couple of days back, but I fogot to get back to it.

What on earth would give you the idea that a free running rear wheel attached to a single cylinder motorcycle should do anything but slap back and forth violently in the first place?

Adjust it by the book: bike on the stand, 1.9" minimum distance between the raised chain and the rear slider bolt (Todd, I know you have big hands, but are your fingers THAT big? :busted: ). (2.3" is the stated max) It will look loose, don't worry about it.

Check the alignment by measuring back from the swing arm pivot to the axle, or better yet, running a chain alignment gauge.

What you are seeing on the stand in gear is a reflection of the fact that the engine does not run at a steady speed at an idle, but accelerates on each power stroke, then decelerates abruptly on each compression stroke. That's normal. :banghead:

• todds924

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I was wondering about this a couple of days back, but I fogot to get back to it.

What on earth would give you the idea that a free running rear wheel attached to a single cylinder motorcycle should do anything but slap back and forth violently in the first place?

Adjust it by the book: bike on the stand, 1.9" minimum distance between the raised chain and the rear slider bolt (Todd, I know you have big hands, but are your fingers THAT big? :ride: ). (2.3" is the stated max) It will look loose, don't worry about it.

Check the alignment by measuring back from the swing arm pivot to the axle, or better yet, running a chain alignment gauge.

What you are seeing on the stand in gear is a reflection of the fact that the engine does not run at a steady speed at an idle, but accelerates on each power stroke, then decelerates abruptly on each compression stroke. That's normal. :banghead:

I measure at the middle of my fingers Gray!:busted: And yes, they are that big from all the years of smashing them with hammers and such.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:33 PM

I measure at the middle of my fingers Gray!:banghead: And yes, they are that big from all the years of smashing them with hammers and such.

Next time you see me, I'll be carrying a tape measure :ride: :busted:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.