Mysterious Tank

10 replies to this topic
  • yammx

Posted January 12, 2008 - 11:31 PM

Morning Guys,

yesterday I run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. After switching to reserve in my calculation the range should be appr. 50km. But after 30km the engine beginst to stall and I stopped. Looking into the tank I saw that there is fuel at the left side, and I tried to get the fuel to the right side where the tap is. I tried with leaning the bike to the right and shaking, no chance. The fuel is still at the left side.
So, what the hell are the guys from the Honda development departement thinking?
Are the 2L fuel only for putting weight on the bike?
Is there a aftermarket tank available which is build with common sense?
Why is the tap not at the deeper left side?

Have you had the same problem, let me know!:banghead:

• scalejockey

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Oh yes... I call it my reserve to the reserve. You can get it ALL over to the other side if you lay the bike over then pick up the front wheel. I have two different tanks stock and a 3.4 gal. IMS. They both do it but the IMS is translucint(?) you can see through it.

• miguelitro

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:49 AM

yeah had to do that inn the middle of ensenada once, how embarrassing.

• scalejockey

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:54 AM

I think we should name it.. "The pig roll"

• xr650l bum

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:57 AM

It helps if you tilt the bike while on a incline.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxer

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:38 AM

I think we should name it.. "The pig roll"

LOL!:banghead:

• yammx

Posted January 14, 2008 - 02:06 AM

:banghead: Ohh, the solution is a backflip whip or the pig roll jump!
Is there a aftermarket tank available where I can get the full petrol out
while normal driving?:busted:

• yammx

Posted January 14, 2008 - 02:08 AM

It helps if you tilt the bike while on a incline.

That means tilting while wheeling, good solution..!:banghead:

• scalejockey

Posted January 14, 2008 - 05:48 AM

I've been brain storm'n a way to put something in a tank to do this.Like a pump like device that works on movement of the fuel. (I travel a lot for my job..sometimes i get a little bored) I'll report it when it works.

• Suikerland

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:44 AM

Is there a aftermarket tank available where I can get the full petrol out
while normal driving?

I don't think so. I have a 6 gallon Acerbis tank, even on that there is some fuel left below the level of the fuel pipe. I probably have about 5.8 gallons of usable fuel.
The remaining fuel can't be used. Don't know whey they designed them like this. :banghead:

• BrandonR

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:58 PM

I don't think so. I have a 6 gallon Acerbis tank, even on that there is some fuel left below the level of the fuel pipe. I probably have about 5.8 gallons of usable fuel.
The remaining fuel can't be used. Don't know whey they designed them like this. :banghead:

The problem has been around for decades, my '87 XL600R leaves fuel on the right side after the left side runs dry.

An easy solution would be a short length of fuel line that connects the bottom of both sides, or better a second petcock then just T the two lines together before the carb.

I don't mind it so much on my XL600 since the little standpipe that sepparates reserve from main dissolved so my petcock is "on" and "off" .. no reserve function anymore. I keep a 20 oz "coleman" fuel bottle full of gas in my toolkit just in case I run out, that will get me a few miles if I run out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.