OK I traded guys, now need help and ?'s

13 replies to this topic
  • JMC

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Ok, if you seen my other posts, I traded my snowmoblie for the 97' xr600. :banghead: Question, how long are the forks, top to bottom of the leg? How long is the stock shock eye hole to eye hole? I want to see it the susp. has been shortened internally. Also the bike runs great but it will hiccup and stall at idle even after it is warm. I tried a search and came up with nothing. Idle rpm's seem about right. I have read about this some where on 400 and 600's but can't remeber how it was suggested to dure the problem.

• martinfan30

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:11 PM

Ok, if you seen my other posts, I traded my snowmoblie for the 97' xr600. :banghead: Question, how long are the forks, top to bottom of the leg? How long is the stock shock eye hole to eye hole? I want to see it the susp. has been shortened internally. Also the bike runs great but it will hiccup and stall at idle even after it is warm. I tried a search and came up with nothing. Idle rpm's seem about right. I have read about this some where on 400 and 600's but can't remeber how it was suggested to dure the problem.

You may need to richen up the pilot circuit. I'm not too familiar with the 600 carb, but i think they like a pilot of 62 or better.

• JMC

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:53 AM

Thanks. When I get into the carb during the next warm streak I'll check it. Who didn't know the day after I trade my sled for another xr we are going to poss. get 3-5" of snow.:D I put the bike on a stand and the suspension (wheels) don't drop much. Anyone have a pic of a lowering link? Not sure if this one is stock, hence the quesion of how long are the forks and shock fully extended. Also the shock was a pogo stick when I first looked at the bike, no comp. at all. Now after getting it home the shock seems fine :banghead: just short.:busted: :ride:

• scalejockey

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:51 AM

A lowering link will look machined instead of cast and most likely have a co. name on it. Kuoba links are gold.? The shock could have a internal spacer but i don't know how long this shock is stock.

As far as the carb goes,the pilot might be just a little dirty. Has it been sitting a while?

• JMC

Posted January 13, 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thanks I'll look at it closer but I don't remember anything looking out of place. Internal spacer poss.? I thought that might be a poss. but was not sure if anyone has/would of done it. Bet the forks are spaced too if so. They don't seem to have much travel. I did get what I think are stock springs in a parts box (along w/another r. spring, pretty sure it is not stock, just a stiifer one)
The guy I bought it from said he had cleaned the carb. When it gets warmer I will check it myself. My 400 does the same thing before it is fully warmed up.

• cleonard

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:37 PM

I have a shock in a box, I'll try and get a measurement for you tomorrow after work.

• JMC

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:03 AM

Thanks, that would help me out. Now for the fork length.:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Thanks. When I get into the carb during the next warm streak I'll check it. Who didn't know the day after I trade my sled for another xr we are going to poss. get 3-5" of snow.:D I put the bike on a stand and the suspension (wheels) don't drop much. Anyone have a pic of a lowering link? Not sure if this one is stock, hence the quesion of how long are the forks and shock fully extended. Also the shock was a pogo stick when I first looked at the bike, no comp. at all. Now after getting it home the shock seems fine :banghead: just short.:busted: :ride:

are you like really tall? Look at the dog bone in the linkage, if it is cast, has a small parting line in it longitudely, then it is stock. If it is a nice looking billet peice that says something on it other than what looks like a tiny part number it is an aftermarket lowering or stroking link. Best way to tell is stand the bike up off the stand with no rider on it. Measure the seat height, if it is around the 35inch mark, it is stock seat height. If it is arounf 33inches, it has been dropped.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:44 AM

then make sure the choke plate isn't loose.

• JMC

Posted January 15, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks I'll check it. I am not that tall 6'1" but can't stand it lowered (good for ice or flat track though huh?). I have it on a stand w/ both wheels off the ground. By looking at other 600s I can see it is shorter, from a side view the wheel meets the side panels and other stock 600's I see a space between them, even on the side stand. Looks like it has 6" of suspension. Trying to figure out how the ppo lowered it. I hope it was not internally on the shock or forks. :banghead:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 15, 2008 - 01:47 PM

to me saying not tall and 6'1" is a lie, but that is cause I am 5'8" and not tall....heres mine and it ISNT lowered....Posted Image

• JMC

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:53 PM

WOW. I could only dream of building a xr like that. WAY COOL.
Anyway:mad: I checked the link, it is stock. Must mean the shock has been modified internally:censored: and I can figure the forks will be the same:cry:
Anyone know what to look for as far as spacers in the forks that would shorten the stroke? I have a new shock coming form ebay so I should have that problem solved. I'll mess w/the carb when the weather warms again.
As far as the tall part I am average among my friends and play hockey w/a few guys that should paly B-ball!:banghead:
Thanks and again, nice bike

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 16, 2008 - 07:48 AM

WOW. I could only dream of building a xr like that. WAY COOL.
Anyway:mad: I checked the link, it is stock. Must mean the shock has been modified internally:censored: and I can figure the forks will be the same:cry:
Anyone know what to look for as far as spacers in the forks that would shorten the stroke? I have a new shock coming form ebay so I should have that problem solved. I'll mess w/the carb when the weather warms again.
As far as the tall part I am average among my friends and play hockey w/a few guys that should paly B-ball!:banghead:
Thanks and again, nice bike

to shorten forks, they usually either take out the preload spacers, or cut the springs or both. Both are easy to remedy. Take out the springs and measure them with no load on them and give me the total length. I can look up the stock length in the repair manual and let you know if they have been modifyed. There should be a set of steel cylendrical spacers in there on top of the springs, Ill bet they are gonzo too..let me know and thanks for the props on my XR.....

• JMC

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thanks. It will be a while before I can get to it. Cold. My thought is it is more than that. When it is on the stand the forks (and shock) don't extend. They stay the same length as it is while it is sitting on the ground. Looks like it has 6-8" of suspension. I am thinking the rod was shortened:confused: That would keep them from fully extending when it is unloaded, right?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.