06 YZ450 stock idle screw setting

9 replies to this topic
  • bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:19 PM

I have a silly question and please don't ask me why I need to know this but, does anyone know the stock setting for the idle screw on a 2006 YZ450?

I think my daughter got a hold of it and now I am having a hard time starting it. The last time I rode the bike, it ran great. Now I can't get it to start. If changing the idle screw setting would not have anything to do with getting it started, does anyone know what else I should look at?

I try to start it the way I always have and I don't get anything that even resembles it turning over. I have pulled the plug and it it soaking wet. I dried the plug, dried the cylinder and tried it again, again, and again. Still no luck.

Please help. I hate to take it to the local shop and get charged an arm and leg to fix something simple.

Thanks.:banghead:

• steve_97060

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:24 PM

you sure it isn't just because of the cold weather? I find it hard to believe a little girl could turn the idle screw much by herself...

• bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:28 PM

You don't know my little girl. I rode last winter and never had this same issue. What else could it be?

• steve_97060

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:30 PM

sounds like a jetting issue.. what are your settings now?

• 642MX

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Did you put a new plug in? I've never had any luck with just cleaning them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:39 PM

You might find this strange or maybe not, but I don't know. After I bought it in 06, a friend of mine at the local shop hooked me up and changed the jets for me. Thats sad, but when it come to the technical stuff, I let the experts handle it.

I might just take it back down there on Monday. They aren't too busy now anyway.

• bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I was going to put a new plug in but my friend misplaced it. I checked the spark and it is strong. I know its tough to tell by looking at them sometimes but this one looks almost brand new.

• bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I just thought of something, I did put a new Pro Circuit stainless header pipe on it but it looks identical to the stock one. Do you think that there is a big enough difference in the two that I need to get it rejetted?

• steve_97060

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:50 PM

you definetely want to find out what jets you have now.. jetting changes are required when the seasons change.. it isn't hard to do, there are a lot of threads on this, do a search.. then give it a go, it's a needed skill...

• bherstine

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I need to do some studying and do the work myself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.