What a difference.........

5 replies to this topic
  • zrxer

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:05 PM

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:banghead: Bruce

• philipstjohn

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I know the feeling... once I re jetted, and went to a 68S, 175, comp needle
3rd seat, open manifold, UNI filter, and a open stock exhaust tip the bikes starts first kick most of the time and rips... with no sign of a bog anywhere in the power band. I feel the top end power/speed is limited because of the stock motor, exhaust set up, etc. but I guess it can only get better! It still seems to want to do 100mph wide open... :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:14 PM

:banghead:

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:ride: Bruce

Stock engine? Man you are really testing me here!!:busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:58 PM

Is someone going to be looking for an "R" ?? R R R R R R E-bay is calling..

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:55 PM

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:banghead: Bruce

Really cool to read this happy rider!
:busted:

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 15, 2008 - 12:16 AM

After reading this, it got me to thinking; what if I bumped mine to second notch from the bottom? The bike can be kind of hard to start when its hot, and after adjusting the needle on my quad, I tried in on the 650.

So far its been easier to start, but I haven't had the chance to really open it up yet because its snow everywhere here...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.