xrl fork question

6 replies to this topic
  • platterdr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 02:42 PM

What is the proper procedure for changing fork oil? And can more oil be added to stiffen suspension without damaging the seals?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:02 AM

If you have an older XRL, you can use the drain bolts on the fork legs.

If not, you have to pull 'em and tip 'em over, unless someone has a trick.

I'm not sure how much oil over stock you can add, you'd be better off shimming the springs a bit and/or using thicker oil.

What's your weight, and what kind of riding do you do?

Dave

• Horri

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:16 AM

I find it's easier to ,,Loosen the top end covers..Remove the forks.Undo the bottom oil drain bolt.Take the two top covers off and remove the spring..Push the fork up and down and all the oil will be ejected..Refill with AutoTransFluid or whatever fancy oil you use.,,Actually I suppose you could just leave them in place with the wheel on but remove the top spring,,Then you can simply push them up and down and the oil will all come out the bottom..Much more efficient method...Warning...You will need a largish container to catch the ejecting oil as it tends to spray rather a long way when you expand and contract the forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • platterdr

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:56 AM

If you have an older XRL, you can use the drain bolts on the fork legs.

If not, you have to pull 'em and tip 'em over, unless someone has a trick.

I'm not sure how much oil over stock you can add, you'd be better off shimming the springs a bit and/or using thicker oil.

What's your weight, and what kind of riding do you do?

Dave

Bike is an 02,my weight is 215lbs. riding is usually mild DSing but I do see some trails and single track at times. I'm not sure what shimmimng is:confused:

• Horri

Posted January 13, 2008 - 12:59 PM

Shimming sounds technical aye..All it is is placing a washer or some such inside the fork on top of the spring to give it more stiffness.Their is no problem adding a bit more oil if you want stiffer suspension..You won't need a lot to achieve that.Happens easily if you fail to measure correctly.

• cleonard

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:41 PM

Adding oil helps, but don't put too much in or you risk the seals. I've run a little over the max that Honda recommends. In order to help prevent bottoming, I also ran ATF. That helped big hits, but made it much harsher over the small stuff.

At your weight stiffer springs are what you really need. I have stiffer springs and max level ATF at this time, and it is a great improvement.

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 01:00 PM

Any one know the weight/viscosity of ATF?

Nevermind, Dexron III is 0w-20.

Is this the ATF you use? The different types of ATF's have different viscosities. Some up to 10w-30.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.