XR680R Up and Running,,, BUT????

10 replies to this topic
  • dylanr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:07 PM

First off, thank you to everyone who has helped me with questions i have had while building my 680r.
So i started it up today for the first time after having it bored out to 102.4mm (making it a 680) done by millennium technologies (great quality work and service), with a wiseco 10:1 piston, an edelbrock carb, and a hotcams stage 2 cam, and a new timing chain and slider tensioner. I also cleaned and lapped the valves while i had it apart. It took quite a few kicks, but finally started up, i was worried that it wasnt going to pump oil, so i put oil everywhere i could think it would go, and it seemed to have worked out fine. i have been taking it easy to break it in, BUT i am a little worried about the sound i am hearing its a ticking noise in the top end somewhere, (sounds like an old sewing machine), i re-adjusted the valves, and it still does it... does anyone have any clues as to what this might be? Is the cam just breaking in? I put all this money into it, i would hate to wreck something.
thanks

• XRMANU

Posted January 12, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Valves not to spec,too much free play?? Did you recheck the one with the deco system?

• weskc35k

Posted January 12, 2008 - 03:30 PM

SET them at TDC and you'll be right,turning the crank the wrong way will give you the problem you have.

• dylanr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:10 PM

checked them three times, clearance seems fine intake 15, exhaust 20 right?, is it possible that the cam chain is slapping some how? i hope not, its brand new.

• pwrpapa

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:25 PM

what do you mean by 15 and 2o

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:32 PM

You have the left (chain side) exhaust valve loose. I do not set the valves at TDC but at the bottom of the lobes for the intake and the bottom of the lobes for the exhaust before the decompression engages or after it releases. You can tell the left exhast valve will get loose. You can see the lobes of the cam if you look. This should be the way the valves are ajusted but, Honda tried to make it easier for everyone and wrote the manual the TDC way.

• pwrpapa

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:54 PM

Int 0.15mm +/- .02mm .006" +/- .001, Exh .20mm +/- .02mm .008" +/- .001

• dylanr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:19 PM

guess ill check them again, thats what i meant by 15 and 20, just too lazy to write the . and mm, sorry for the confusion

• dylanr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:41 PM

I adjusted them again, im such an idiot, i was using the .015 INCH feeler gauge on the intake side instead of the .15MM, i wasnt using inches on the exhaust side, just the intake side?? Wow with an idiot mistake like that im surprised the thing even runs after i put it together,,,,, musta got lucky.
By the way, this time it did work, she purrs like a newer quieter sewing machine, i may have to do a little more adjusting, but im on the right track!!
I cant wait until i get it broken in a little more so i can twist it to the stop and see what it does, hopefully she holds up.
thanks for the help

• pwrpapa

Posted January 13, 2008 - 02:54 AM

That's good to hear that's all it was. Dang metric system will get you everytime. LOL
Take care,
Pop's

• Maximus86

Posted January 13, 2008 - 05:05 PM

I will say this

after I had my XR680 supermoto built

I did notice the engine does make a different sound(then a stock one) also revs a little bit slower

but the power gain is phenomenal

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.